Blurb Me: Rain

“Have you ever stood under the rain? On purpose?”

He watches the window, watches the rain fall from the sky and ping off of the glass panes. It isn’t heavy—no, merely a sprinkle now—and the clouds hanging over his backyard are neither dark nor menacing.

They’re gentle. Quiet. Calm.

“Playing in the rain only gets you soaking wet,” he remembers telling her. “You’re insane.”

And he remembers the coy smile that follows his statement, the life that sparks in her eyes. “Perhaps,” she replies. “But when I’m out there feeling the water drench my skin, it’s like I’m starting over.”

 He scoffs at her then. But now as he stands motionless, eyes glued to the slowly worsening downpour, he can’t help wondering if maybe, just maybe…

Maybe he can begin again. Clean slate.

So, in a temporary moment of what can only be craziness, he reaches for the door. He twists the knob, opens the entrance; and when he steps outside, the rain pelts his skin, sharp, as though the droplets might pierce through it.

At first, he winces and struggles to open his eyes against the water. It’s tough out here, uncomfortable and cold. He considers going back inside. But then—yes, then he feels it. He feels the droplets slither down his arms and legs, feels the fresh, clean scent fill his nostrils and clear his mind. Most importantly he feels his worries, one by one, roll off his body and puddle around his feet.

She had been right.

His lips curl into a smile as the storm finishes. And when he steps back into his house, dripping wet, he leaves behind his puddle of worries to dry up in the sun.