Chapter Forty Seven: JSS

Start from the beginning

Carl turned around gripping the stroller in his hands," Come around 3:00. We'll start with a machete." He spoke over his shoulder before moving the stroller again.

" I guess it's good that you're helping him."

" Can we talk about us ?" He suddenly questioned and I now knew why my brain had warned me to not go on this walk with him.

I swallowed," Okay." I said curling my nails into my arm." What do you want to talk about ?"

" What made you run away from me ?" He asked." What made you say we're not friends anymore."

" I'm scared." I answered.

" Of what ?" He interrupted stopping from walking so he could turn and stare into my eyes." Maya, I understand if you don't love me back, but if you do say that, I'll know you're lying. There is no way you didn't feel anything when we kissed at the prison."

My eyes shot up at his words," You remember that ?"

" How could I forget ?" He said still staring into me."  Maya, we live in a world where nothing is permanent. Look at how many homes we have been to and lost since the turn happened. I didn't want something to happen and for me to never tell you how I felt about you. If you're scared because of how your mother treated you, I need you to know that I would never hurt you. You mean to god damn much to me to ever hurt."

" I know you would never hurt me." I protested." But-"

" But what ?"

" I'm scared because you mean more to me than any other person. You are my best friend and I can't lose you to this world and I feel like everyone I get close to either leaves or dies. I don't want you to be one." I said realizing what I had just said had gotten some anger and fear off my chest.

He nodded slowly," Please." He begged." Just tell me I'm not a lost cause."

I opened my mouth ready to give him my answers when Alexandria erupted in screams. I gasped turning and watching multiple groups of people climb over the fences and run across the community slicing people away.

" Run !" I screamed unbuckling Judith from her stroller before running with Carl to his house.

The streets were a massacre. Body parts were lying around and it took Carl three shots just before we could enter into the house. I ran up the stairs placing Judith in her crib before locking all the near windows in case someone decided to climb the houses. Screams still echoed from outside and I ran out of Judith's room locking the door before racing back down seeing Carl had a rifle now in his hands.

" They're coming in from all over." He announced while I pulled my bow from my quiver and next an arrow.

" You have to stay here and keep Judith safe." I said going for the door when his hand had gripped my arm pulling me back.

" Woah. Woah. Woah. There is no way you can go out there." He elaborated." Those people are slaughtering our people in the streets."

" That's why I have to go." I jeered." Mandy, Finnick, Lucas, and Daisy are still out there. They could need my help and I can't let them get hurt."

He stared at me for what seemed like forever knowing I was right. If roles were reversed and he knew his family was out there, I know he would go to save them. He walked closer to me kissing my forehead and placing his hand on my cheek with worry evident in his eyes.