Chapter 12

The next day, whenever Sirius and Mara were in the same room her green eyes seemed to drift towards the Gryffindor. Every now and then green would meet gray, causing red to show on the Ravenclaw's cheeks as she swiftly turned away. It was slowly becoming more obvious and by the end of the day Sirius would send his crooked smile her way as he caught the girl staring. His friends also began to point it out as they would elbow him or send the boy thumbs up. And by the time dinner was about to begin, Angelo and Elise decided to ask her about it. 

"Why are you staring at Black?" Elise questioned as she saw Mara's eyes drift over towards the table decorated in scarlet and gold. 

"What?" Mara quickly removed her glance and sat up as if she were on trial. " I was doing no such thing," the girl denied. 

"It's been all day Mar. You're making it obvious at this point. So what. Has this turned into a crush?" Angelo asked. 

"Of course not," the Ravenclaw denied once more. 

"Liar!" Elise declared once she saw the blush sprinkled on her nose. 

Mara glared but refused to respond as she placed some of the baked chicken on her plate. 

"You also didn't prank him today," Angelo noted with a raised eyebrow. 

"Well he got rid of the memory," Mara lied with ease this time. 

Elise was about to say something as her mouth opened but Mara noticed a certain blonde decorated in yellow turn around on the bench to begin speaking with the Ravenclaws. "I've just got to say that you, Mara, are in fact lying." 

"See!" 

"Ha!" 

"I am not!" Mara declared as she sent a glare her sister's way. "Have you been ease dropping?" The Ravenclaw accused. It was her sister's turn to change colors. 

"We're not talking about me right now," Amelia tried to change the topic back. "As I was saying, there's no way you don't like the boy! I'm two years younger and in another house all together and yet I still know how much you've been staring at the boy so either stop staring or do something about it." 

"Why are you still talking to them?" Thomas asked. Mara hadn't noticed the boy before but his voice was easily identifiable. 

Mara narrowed her eyes at the boy but refused to say something as her sister grew red once more, this time from embarrassment. She already knew Mara was wondering why her sister was still friends with the boy. 

"I'm sorry" Amelia mouthed before saying, "just think about what I said." 

Mara was taken aback as her youngest sister was known for being the quietest out of the bunch, but she did have a point. So after dinner was over, Mara walked over towards the group of marauders and tapped on Sirius' shoulder. When the boy turned around, his signature crooked smile grew as he saw who was standing in front of him. 

"What do I owe the pleasure?" Sirius asked, knowing that she had been staring at the boy all day. Usually he would have been worried but her stare was less mean or calculating than it normally was, meaning she probably wasn't going to try and attack him. 

"I wanted to ask you on a date," Mara stated. Within an instant the girl was the same color as Sirius' robes. The Gryffindor thought it was cute. It was cute how forward she was and how easily she could be embarrassed. 

"Really? Sirius began. "Well if you insist, though I must admit, I am an awfully expensive date," the boy teased. 

"Stop it," Mara said, though the smile on her face said otherwise. The nerves left her body as she began to relax, knowing the boy accepted her idea of a date. "But okay then. Tomorrow night. Eight o'clock. The kitchens. Don't be late." 

And with a smile Mara turned away from the boy and walked back to her common room but not before hearing Sirius shout back, "I'll be there!" 

The next day approached must faster than Mara was used to but once Angelo and Elise found out about the date, they were overjoyed for the girl. "Oh we must make you look stunning," Angelo determined. 

"She's always stunning," Elise replied, taking offense for Mara. 

"Of course, of course," Angelo backtracked. "I meant glamoured." Elise then nodded her head in approval. 

"We're only meeting at the kitchens," Mara told the pair, not wanting to end up in a ballgown. 

"Fine, I guess we have to dress for the occasion," Angelo huffed. "What about your long sleeved tunic dress? You know the navy one? Would look great with the tweed platforms." 

"Bloody hell yes!" Elise exclaimed. "And I can get your hair the volume it needs. We'll do a half-up do. It'll look fantastic." 

So for the next hour Elise and Angelo fussed over Mara's hair and makeup which was fairly subtle for the amount of time they spent on it. And once she slipped on the blue dress and shoes, she was ready. "I do look great," Mara confirmed after she stared at herself in the mirror for a moment. Once she said that, Angelo and Elise gave each other high-fives and congratulated each other on their hard work. 

"Alright, see you guys later," Mara said before taking off. 

When she got to the kitchens she was thirty minutes early, wanting to make sure the elves knew what to make. 

"Hello everyone!" Mara greeted the house elves kindly as she always did. 

"Hello Mistress Dean," they chimed back. Mara had tried to get them to call her by her first name but after a while she learned that they just liked calling her that so she let it go. 

"I made a list. Would you be able to make this for me?" She asked a house elf who happily obliged before going off to make the food. Mara then found a spot where she and Sirius wouldn't get in the way of the house elves and set place settings. With an added touch of a beautiful pink peony, there was less than five minutes left before Sirius was supposed to arrive. So she waited. 

And waited. 

And waited. 

And waited some more. 

Until the food was cold and the house elves began to give her pity looks. That was when Mara packed up her stuff with tears in her eyes and ran back to the Ravenclaw tower, ready to bawl her eyes out for the second time that week.