Nightmare

The fear was what abruptly woke her up and she desperately tried to get the dreadful images that her mind had cooked up out of the way. Meanwhile, her left hand had been holding onto the sheets for dear life so the knuckles were now white. The tears kept coming even though she was awake, but with Moriarty being the reason for this nightmare it's not difficult to understand why she was so shaken up. He's been harassing her, Sherlock and John for months now. Though, she and John want to get rid of this criminal mastermind, Sherlock, on the other hand, finds Moriarty's ways of playing a game intriguing. That is, until this night.

Fumbling herself out of the bed, she quickly wiped her face with her fingers. There was no way she was gonna fall asleep and dream about unicorns at the moment so she might as well get up and walk around the flat for a while. She hadn't checked what the time was, but the room was dark so it must have be in the middle of the night. Something else she didn't know, was that Sherlock was still in the living room. She didn't even see him because more tears had already taken over the last ones place.

The detective, who had heard her bedroom door open, now looked at her over the cover of a book he was reading, or at least pretended to read. He watched her silently, taking in the state she was in as she made her way to the kitchen in her pajama pants and tank top. Although he was known to not be very good at humans in general if they weren't part of a crime, he did conclude that she was worried or distressed.

Since he got to know her and she started to work with him and John, they have gotten along pretty well, to his surprise. She was clever and good at detective work. Sometimes it was her that found and spotted the most useful clues first out of the two of them. Over the time, Sherlock has found himself getting fond of her without actually realizing it.

However, right now, he couldn't stop wondering what had brought her to tears at this hour. Well, one explanation was of course nightmare, but he wouldn't say he was sure of it. It could for example have been a sad text message or phone call.

It didn't get better when she dropped the glass she took out of the cupboard, making the only sound in the flat. It was spotting Sherlock across the room that had frightened her. The glass had by now spread in several pieces by her feet on the floor. This seemed to make her more upset because she took to even more tears and the fact that she covered her face with one hand and supported herself on the kitchen bench with the other. Something bad had clearly got her all shaken. 

After gathering herself a tiny bit, she took away her hand and glanced quickly in Sherlock's direction. "I'm sorry. I-" The rest of the words got lost somewhere before they reached her mouth. With unsteady knees, she bent down and took some pieces of the glass in her hand. Sherlock was thinking the thought exactly when it happened. One of the pieces cut her palm right when she closed her fist. As shaky and unsteady as she was, it would be almost impossible to not get out. A low yelp came from her as her hand opened on reflects at the sharp object.

Sherlock was quick on his feet and put down the book. "Stop." He kneeled down on one leg opposite her. Blood was pumping out of her hand.

"I eh... I need to-"

"No, you don't," he told her and helped her up. He held her hand out and inspected the injury. His hand had a warm touch, which actually made her calm down a little. She used her other arm to, again, brush the tears off her cheeks while sniffing. Sherlock narrowed his lips and frowned. "Keep it here," he said and she kept her hand up in the air, her palm facing upwards. The blood had now begun dripping down onto the floor.

In the cupboard under the sink, Sherlock took out a first aid kit and opened it. Since it didn't seem like she was gonna do any explaining, he asked, "What's wrong?", while taking out the a band-aid and a bandage. Next, he turned on the water and soaked a clean cloth in it.