Chapter 3 - Connor

Start from the beginning

"Thanks. That means a lot." She stared down at the open book in my hands. "Do you want to finish it first? I mean, it's your book after all..."

After making a mental note of the page, I closed the book and handed it to her. "It's fine. I do own the book after all, as you just pointed out. I can read it whenever I want to." She smiled slightly and clutched the book to her stomach. "Anyways, ready to go?"

She nodded and stood up. "Thanks for everything."

"It was my pleasure," I assured her, holding the front door open for her. She stepped outside, then glanced skeptically at my car. "Have you been inside these?" I looked at her, amused. She shot me a weak glare.

"Yes, but it has been...9 years." My eyes widened, but I said nothing. She slid in and buckled her own seatbelt, shifting a little until she found a comfortable position.

I got in and slid the key into the ignition, turning it until the engine rumbled, a familiar noise. "So where do you work?"

"Today, I work at Mario's." I thought of the Italian restaurant, and nodded a little to myself. Typical student job, besides retail, and I could not imagine Jade working a job in retail.

"Gotcha. But what do you mean by 'today'?"

Jade glanced out the window as I pulled away from the curb, her fingers fiddling with the strap of her seatbelt. "I work three jobs, and my shifts vary. I'm always busy with either school, homework, or work."

I shot her a quick glance. Her ebony hair formed dark streaks on the long-sleeved navy blue shirt I gave her. Between her hair, I could see the peachy colour of her skin. Her hands were covered by the sleeves, and the grey sweatpants concealed the shape of her legs. Through her baggy clothes, she--as usual--seemed to have no shape.

"Do you ever feel stressed?"

"No. I just take it into stride."

"Seems like something you would do. You do it very well."

"Thank you."

I couldn't say anything else. What had happened to the closeness we had yesterday and just a couple minutes ago? Did it all dissipate because she was shifting to the mindset she always had when she was outside amongst others?

"When does your shift end?"

"5."

"I'll come pick you up after your shift ends, okay?"

She looked at me, her eyes unreadable. "Are you sure?"

"Completely. Would you be willing to come over again tonight?"

She bit her lip. "I do have my own house, you know."

I took one hand off the steering wheel and rested it on hers, only for her to flinch away. I tried not to feel discouraged as I put my hand back on the steering wheel. "I know. I like having you around. Remember what I said. I want to be your friend."

Her expression became a little bit sad. "You're not forcing yourself, are you?"

"Nope. I genuinely like you."

She seemed to relax. "Okay, then. If you don't mind. It almost seems like I'm taking up permanent residence with you."

My smile faltered a little. "No one's stopping you," I murmured quietly. She stared wordlessly down at her lap.

"We shouldn't. I have my own house. But thank you anyways." I felt like kicking myself. I ended up making her distance herself from me again.

Eventually, we pulled up to the little red brick building. A cracked cement sidewalk snaked around it. I dropped Jade off at the front. The neon open side was missing a letter, since the O had died, so all it said was "pen". Inside, the lights were on, the ceiling fans spinning lazily from the low ceiling. I could smell the food from here.