Chapter 3 - Connor

I woke up curled on the floor. Early-morning sunlight slanted through the window. I rolled over to look at the couch, and there she was. Jade was curled up on her side as well, her back to me, hidden in the shade provided by the couch. I smiled. It wasn't likely that I'd forget last night. We had sipped hot chocolate and talked about our pasts, so we could get to know more about each other. Hers was sad. I told her about how my parents had divorced, and how I had been completely abandoned by my father after my mother had died of cancer. He hadn't much cared for me, and my mother had been the only one who cared. She had given me the rest of her money upon her death, and her elder sister, my aunt, gave me money each month as well. As much as she could spare, at least. I still appreciated it, despite not having her here with me. I kept the house my mother bought, just like Jade had.

Rolling my sleeve up and away from my wrist, I looked at the time. It was noon. Thank God it was a Saturday. Hopefully, Jade didn't have anything to do today.

Just then, Jade sat up and yawned, stretching her arms over her head. She blinked sleepily, rubbing her eyes before peering at me. "Morning, Connor." She smiled a little. "What time is it?"

"Noon," I told her. She blinked.

"Are we late for school?"

"Today's Saturday." She lunged off of the couch, letting out a loud curse. I stared at her.

"I'm late for work!" She swore again. Panicking, she glanced at me. "Are there any buses right now?"

I shook my head. "The next one's not for another 20 minutes. I can--"

Jade sank to the ground. "Oh, God, they're going to fire me."

I leant closer to her. "You know, in case you've forgotten, I have a car." She turned slowly to look me in the eye, and then a radiant smile spread across her face.

"You're a lifesaver, Connor. Thanks!" She stood up, and I followed suit. "Do you mind if I go home and freshen up first?"

I shook my head. "It's not really necessary." I hurried into the bathroom, where I pulled a clean toothbrush from a drawer. I got a smaller T-shirt of mine and a pair of sweats and offered them to her. "You can use my shower and stuff. Anything you need."

She tilted her head a little before looking at me. "Wow, Connor. This is really nice of you. Thank you. I don't think I did anything to deserve this, though."

I shifted my weight awkwardly. "You did. You've stopped running from me." She laughed while shaking her head, then walked into the bathroom. Embarrassed, I slowly hurried away from the bathroom door. There was no need for her to think I was trying to peep at her while she was showering.

Instead, I sat on the couch, holding the book Jade was reading yesterday. I continued from where I left off, the sound of the running water in Jade's shower as background music. I briefly thought of what she said yesterday about the book, which gave me an idea. Maybe she'd like to borrow the book.

When Jade came out ten minutes later, her hair was damp, water dripping onto the towel draped over her shoulders. Her cheeks were flushed. "Sorry I used your hot water," she apologized. I laughed.

"Nah, it's fine. A hot shower is better used on you than me anyways." She smiled and sat down next to me. I hesitated for a second before asking her. "Hey, about this book...Did you want to borrow it?"

She looked taken aback. "Borrow your book? What if I damage it?"

I chanced a quick look at the boxes full of books. "Most of mine are in worse condition. I don't think you can treat it any more badly. Plus, I trust you." She blinked in surprise, then looked at me, a genuine smile on her lips, happiness shining in her eyes.