65 || Dolores Umbridge

Start from the beginning

"Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations, O.W.Ls, more commonly known as Owls," she turned to face the class with the same sweet smile that made Katie feel sick. "Study hard and you will be rewarded, fail to do so and the consequences may be severe."

With a wave of her wand, a stack of textbooks levitated from the desk behind her and began distributing themselves to the students. Katie looked down at her new book with a grimace.

"Defensive Magical Theory?" Katie whispered. "Theory?"

"Wands away and quills out, please."

Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks; the order 'wands away' had never yet been followed by a lesson that they had found interesting.

"Good," Umbridge continued as everyone shoved their wands into their pockets. "I should like you to turn to page five and read 'Chapter One, Basics for Beginners'. There will be no need to talk."

Professor Umbridge returned to her chair behind the desk, observing them all with those pouchy little toad's eyes. Katie turned to page five of her copy of Defensive Magical Theory and started to read. It was desperately dull. She felt her concentration slipping away from her; she had soon read the same line a dozen times without taking in more than the first few words. Katie looked to her right and received a surprise. Hermione had not even opened her copy of Defensive Magical Theory. She was staring fixedly at Professor Umbridge with her hand in the air.

Several silent minutes passed. The chapter that they had been instructed to read was so tedious that more and more people were choosing to watch Hermione's mute attempt to catch Professor Umbridge's eye rather than struggle on with 'Basics for Beginners'.

When more than half the class were staring at Hermione rather than at their books, Professor Umbridge seemed to decide that she could ignore the situation no longer.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" she asked Hermione, as though she had just noticed her.

"Not about the chapter, no." Hermione answered.

"Well, we're reading just now. If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells." Hermione said, ignoring Umbridge's previous statement.

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron exclaimed.

"Students will raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class!" Umbridge snapped. "Mr—?"

"Weasley." Ron said, immediately putting his hand in the air. Umbridge turned away from him and addressed the entire class.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"What use is that?" Harry said loudly. Everyone turned to look at him. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a—"

"Hand, Mr Potter!" Umbridge sang.

Harry's hand shot into the air. Like she had done to Ron, Professor Umbridge promptly turned away from him. Despite being told not to speak out of turn, Harry continued on anyway.

"How is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"

"There is nothing out there, dear," Professor Umbridge countered in a horribly honeyed voice. "Who do you suppose would want to attack children like yourselves?"

"Hmm, let's think..." Harry said in a mock thoughtful voice. "Maybe... Lord Voldemort?"

Katie winced, Ron gasped, Lavender Brown uttered a little scream, Neville slipped sideways off his seat. Professor Umbridge, however, did not flinch. She was staring at Harry with a grimly satisfied expression on her face.