Chapter 1: It Begins

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Wednesday mornings in the Triffle house weren't what you would call normal.

The day usually started with everyone, Hunter, Kara, and their mother Rachel, all awake and dressed before the crack of dawn. They did this for some reasons that they told no one.

It had been five years since Hunter and Kara's father has died. It was a Wednesday morning when they got told the news.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Knock! Knock!

Rachel stood and looked at the door. her hands went up to clasp the locket at her neck. She hadn't seen him in a week and she was worried. Was he home?

Knock! Knock! Knock!

She walked slowly to the door and turned on the front porch light. She opened the door and her heart clenched. Standing in the orange glow of the ancient porch light was not the man who she loved immensely. Instead, it was his brother.

Rachel frowned, but waved him in. The dread that came showed in her green eyes.

"Tell me, Brandon. Tell me where he is," she told him, clutching her robe. She shook slightly.

Brandon stared at his shoes. He couldn't get himself to look into his sister-in-law's eyes. He didn't want to see the sorrow.

"He's dead. I found him in an alleyway. He has been dead for a week. He's not a pretty thing to look at anymore." He kept his head down, knowing her heart had just broke.

There came the sound of footsteps and Hunter(age 12) and Kara(age 10) came into the room, rubbing their sleepy eyes. "Mom?"

Rachel lost it. She went to her children and knelt down, throwing her arms around them. She let the tears flow.

"Mom? What's wrong?" Hunter asked. Him and Kara were confused. Hunter looked at Brandon. "Uncle Brandon?"

"He's gone, your dad. He's gone," Brandon told him.

Hunter and Kara finally understood. They were never going to see their father again. They let the tears flow, too.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

There had been nothing out of the normal for five years. What was left of their family got up early on Wednesdays and sat down at the dinner table in silence. Things became different one Wednesday in spring.

There had been the sound of voices near the back door, located in the kitchen and had startled Kara, who was making breakfast.

"Quickly.. Before they know."

Kara glanced towards the door, but disregarded the voices. She went to the fridge and rummaged through it. She frowned. 

"Mom! There's no butter or milk! I'm going to go get some!" she called out. Hunter walked in and looked at her. 

"I'll come, too," he said. 

They got on light jackets and headed out to the store, which was only a block away. They got butter and milk and headed back towards their house. The sight of black smoke in the air caught their attention. They dropped their groceries and ran.

When they reached the fire, they stopped. It was their house up in flames. They stood staring at it. That was when they heard their mother's scream.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"Kara! Kara!"

Kara sat blot upright. Her breath came in gasps and she doubled over. 

"Are you OK?" 

She lifted her head and looked at her brother, his green eyes watching her with concern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hunter was almost a splitting image of their father. He was an easy 5'9", with midnight black hair. His shoulders were broad and he had long legs that quickly got him places. He had the face that people thought was perfect. His hands were rough from all the work he had done to replace his father's role after his passing. The only thing that made him unlike their father, was his eyes. He had their mother's eyes, a perfect sparkling green.

Unlike Kara. She looked like their mother, flaming red locks, short height, only 5'3". She was slender, her hands in the middle of soft and rough because of the work she did to lighten her mother's load. She was compact, and proud of herself. She had eyesight that required her to wear glasses. Her prescription didn't change so she didn't have to worry about getting new glasses. She had only one pair of glasses though. She was very careful not to lose them. They were black, a simple color and they fit wonderfully. Them being plastic meant that she didn't have to worry about the nose pieces. Her eyes were a simple deep blue though, like her father's had been.

Them looking like their parents made it easy for them to remember what their parents looked like, not having to worry about forgetting them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Was it that dream again?" Hunter grabbed his sister's hand and holding it in his own. He scanned her face.

Kara gave her brother a small smiled and squeezed his hand. "I'm OK. Don't worry."

She let go of his hand and pushed herself up off the motel bed. She stretched and yawned. "We have to keep moving. Let's go."

It may not be much, but it is pretty good, don't you think? I aim to make this #1 in Teen Fiction! I hope you will help me and share this with everyone you know.

We shall take this to the top! Thank you and be antcipating a new release!

<3 KatrinaCarrio~