Brinkadoom

Her head snaps up from the ground when she hears my voice, within seconds she's in front of me, hugging me tightly.

"Lydia? You're not-? Are you?" She says, stepping back and examining me.

"No, no. I'm not dead, this is my round trip ticket in and out of the Netherworld, Beetlejuice." I say, gesturing to him with a wide smile.

"Is that all I am to you babes? A shiny gold ticket to hell?" Beetlejuice says standing next to me, mom looks at us in slight confusion but, also what looks to be understanding.

"Of course not." I say.

"You're so cruel to your fiancée" he says.

"Mom, why are you going to Brinkadoom?" I say, changing the subject before I have to explain the last six months that have lead me to accepting his proposal.

"I'll explain after Beetlejuice explains what he just said." She says, making me sigh in defeat.

"Oh, well let me tell you from the beginning. I met Lyds when she was gonna jump off the roof and impale herself on a birdbath cause your husband and his new chick were trying to make Lyds here forget about ya and were ignoring her and then instead of her saying my name right then to solve her problem she got the other two dead people in the house to help her ruin Chuck's party and pushed me off the roof which, by the way was hot as hell, I do like a strong female lead. Anyway, at the big party the ghosts possessed the guests and made them sing and dance which made them actually want to have the ghosts there and make people pay to see them so, Lyds said my name and I scared them out and we wreaked havoc for a few days, then I gave her the handbook and tricked her into almost exorcising one of the ghosts because I felt abandoned and Chuck and Danica came back and tried to exorcise me so, I stepped in and proposed so I could be alive and well, not alone anymore and she tricked me by jumping into hell so, I followed her and we went to find you so, here we are engaged to be married!" he says, animatedly summarizing the last week.

Mom gives a look of slight surprise then a smile.

"Oh Lydia! Wait how old are you? How old is he?" She questions me, trying to grasp all that Beetlejuice just threw at her.

"I'm almost eighteen mom and he's um.. older?" I say, unsure of his exact age.

"Living age or dead age? Living about twenty eight, dead about a few millennia" he says.

"Honey, is this a smart decision or an impulse decision?" She says softly, giving my hand a light squeeze.

"Both! Well, it's kind of a quid pro quo" Beetlejuice exclaims excitedly.

"I could be put to death for coming here while still alive. Beetlejuice wants to be alive, also marrying him is probably the smartest decision I've made in the last 24 hours." I say.

"Your father is going to have a heart attack" She says with a small laugh.

"That's the least he'll get out of this." Beetlejuice says.

"I'm going in there to take pictures, sleeping for a hundred years sounds nice too" She says while holding up a camera.

"Mom, you can't!" I yell, putting my hands on her shoulders.

"Why not? If I go in I'm going to come back out tomorrow, if I don't then we'll see each other again anyway." Emily says.

"We'll give you till morning then if you're not out I'm going in." Beetlejuice says, I hit him with my elbow.

"We, we are going in" he says, correcting himself.

"Fine, treat her well or I will make you very unhappy. Welcome to the family... son" she says to Beetlejuice, giving him a hug and kiss on the forehead, then turning to me.