Chapter 14: Quidditch Shenaningans

Začít od začátku

"Speaking of Quidditch," said Charles, setting down the garment bag on one of the armchairs. "Why don't we play a quick game?"

"Yes," Oliver said right away.

"We're only three, though," Jessica pointed out.

"My dad can play," Oliver offered. "He used to play back in Hogwarts, too."

"Problem solved," Charles beamed. "I've been wanting to play a lighthearted game of Quidditch in a while. Training's been such a bore recently."

And that was how Jessica found herself in the field at the back of her house with Charles, Oliver, and Mr. Wood. That morning, she didn't expect to have lunch with the Wood family, let alone play a Quidditch game with them and her own cousin, too.

"I can't believe you're making an old man like me play Quidditch," Mr. Wood said to his son, a hint of humor in his voice.

"You're not even forty, dad. Don't you miss playing it, too?" Oliver said like a child.

"I do," he confessed. "It would be an honor to play with a professional Quidditch athlete, anyway."

Charles chuckled and thanked Mr. Wood. The two of them lapsed into a casual conversation about playing Quidditch at Hogwarts, reminiscing their time there even if it hadn't been that long since Charles graduated.

Jessica snickered at how excited Oliver looked even when he was just looking at her cousin. She placed both her hands behind his back and steered him away from Charles, much to his dismay.

"Hey, lass, what're you —"

"You're going to help me get the broomsticks and balls in the shed," she announced. "Besides, if you stayed there and ogled at Charles any longer, it would look like he made you drink a love potion."

Exactly ten minutes later, the group was ready to go and play Quidditch. Since Charles wanted a fair match, he decided to play as Keeper instead of his usual position as Chaser. Hence, Jessica took over as Chaser on his team. Of course, Oliver was the Keeper of his own team while his dad would play as the Chaser. They settled on only using a Quaffle in the game because they lacked members, and they agreed that the game would end when one of the teams reached 50 points first. It sounded like a low goal, but with only a total of two members on each team, it wasn't going to be as easy as it seemed.

Lacking some of the equipment, Mr. Wood and Charles (being the only ones who could legally use magic) made some adjustments. They transfigured some of the taller trees to become makeshift goalposts and enchanted the Quaffle to levitate in midair since they didn't have a referee who would release it for them. Finally, to officially start the game, Mr. Wood flicked his wand upwards and a red spark shot out from the tip.

The four players, mounted on the Comet 260's and Cleansweep Sixes the Hawthornes owned, watched in anticipation the spark ascended upwards. Once exploded with a bang, their match began.

Mr. Wood and Jessica immediately flew towards the Quaffle from opposite ends of the field. Fortunately, the black-haired girl was able to grasp it before he did. She flew towards the goalposts on Oliver's end and had to admit that she was a bit nervous knowing how much of a skilled Keeper he was.

She leaned towards the leftmost ring and attempted to throw a Curve Ball, but Oliver knew better than to fall for that trick.

"Nice try, Hawthorne!" he taunted after blocking it easily. That only increased Jessica's competitive spirit.

The Quaffle was hurtling downwards, but Mr. Wood caught it before it could touch the floor. Jessica followed after him, flying closely behind and trying to match his speed. He shot the ball at one of the rings, but Charles blocked it with his arm. Jessica dove for the Quaffle in an instant before Mr. Wood could even comprehend that he didn't manage to score.