Li Xiao was a talented genius since he was a child. The Emperor had high hopes for him and praised him personally: 'His literary skills can settle the country. His strength can □□, the world will be in my son's palm.' It is also because of this praise Li Xiao's life resulted in tragedy. At the age of eleven, he was fed a strange poison, crazily lived 5 whole years. Although he was cleaned of the poison later, his mental state continued to remain unstable. Because of his unparalleled martial strength, when he lost control, no one could stop him, leading to countless murders.

Originally such a person would be avoided like the plague, but after detoxification, Li Xiao was sent to the battlefield and led wars one versus one hundred. To the enemy, he was pure death god personified. Although his mental state was sometimes good, sometimes bad. When good, he's still able to strategize and scheme. Therefore, he quickly took command of the army and continued to maintain power in the court.

As the Emperor's health continued to decline, the court quickly split into two factions, one to support the crown prince, one to support the mad king. While the crown prince's supporters are firm, they have no real power. But the mad king is called the mad king not only because of his episodes. Even when his mood is stable, there seemed to be a hint of insanity that seeped into his bones. People say in private, once the Emperor dies, the crown prince will be helpless like a rabbit to a mad wolf. Unable to obtain support from the senior court officials and acknowledgement from the Emperor, the mad king will seize control illegitimately. It's uncertain what the mad king himself thought about this rumor.

(My clarification: The crown prince and the mad king are both sons of the Emperor. The crown prince is the son that the Emperor declares will inherit the throne if he dies. Here, they're saying that the crown prince at the moment is weak. So the people supporting the mad king want the emperor to change his mind and declare the mad king as the crown prince instead. BUT at the same time, they are kind of afraid because of the mad king's illness. Currently, people think that the mad king will just stage a coup to get rid of the crown prince after the emperor dies in order to ascend the throne.)

In such a big political scene, there are countless people like the Song family supporting both sides. The Song family already sent beautiful women to crown prince, but the crazy king did not like women, that's why Song Song became the tool to curry favor.

The Song family believed if Song Song, who had taken the holy medicine, can give birth to a child, he would become irreplaceable to the mad king. However, this was only a possibility. The side effects of the holy medicine were unknown so they didn't want to risk their other children to test it.The pitifully weak bastard child Song Song was the best choice.

(My clarification: Song Song's mother was the first wife married to his father, but because she was from a merchant family, not from a government family, her status was lowered to a concubine. So Song Song's status is the son of a concubine, which is considered lower than children of the main wife. I'm just going to use bastard child here, but note that his parents were married.)

Especially since...if Song Song were successful, they can just let the more outstanding Song Ge take the child and replace Song Song's position. If Song Song were unsuccessful and died... it wouldn't be much of a loss.

"Elder Brother?" Because Song Song didn't answer for a long time, a flash of impatience passed through Song Ge's eyes. Song Song finally returned from his thoughts. He looked at this man in front of him, who in the previous life, stole his appearance and his child, and used his name to successfully become the male empress of the ascended mad king.

Song Song suddenly felt a dagger in his sleeves. He absent mindedly remembered, this dagger was something he prepared to use to suicide back then. Later, he was dissuaded by Song Ge. Thankful and feeling like at least he still had one person, Song Ge, who cared about him in the world, he decided to continue living.