“Extremely sure,” she whispered.

They lapsed into silence, as their gazes were drawn back to the gate again. Hans had entered the gatehouse by now. The two of them waited, breathless—then it came. A high, screeching wail that was carried up by the wind all the way from the gatehouse to the top of the inner wall where Ayla and Reuben stood watching. Slowly, under their intent eyes, the portcullis rose skyward.

Finally, it reached the top, and stopped.

Not long after, Hans stepped out of the gatehouse again. He didn't look up at the wall this time, and a shiver of fear and worry went down Ayla's back. She had no idea what was going through his head. She had no idea what he would be telling the soldiers. Maybe she should think about Reuben's suggestion. It wasn't too late to get his wife and children and—

No! I am my father’s daughter! I’m not going to do something wrong out of fear and weakness! And neither am I going to do it because I think it’s good fun, like that blaggard I’m in love with! Hans will keep his oath!

Yes, he would. He had to! Hadn't he?

Hans stepped towards the gate.

It still wasn't too late. She could call to him, tell him that if he didn't do as she had commanded, his worst fears would come to pass.

No! If I do that, I’m no better than the Margrave: forcing people to do my bidding, instead of giving them the opportunity to do what was right and just.

Still, if it might save lives...

And then Hans was at the gate, and put his hands under huge beam of wood that barred it. He put his hands under it, and tried to lift it. It didn't move an inch, so he stepped forward and bent to put his shoulder underneath the beam for leverage. Still it didn't move.

“Wimp,” Reuben muttered.

“Yes,” Ayla muttered. “I'm sure you'd do a much better job of letting our enemies into my castle.”

“Ayla?”

“Yes, Reuben?”

“Shut up.”

Ayla harrumphed, and poked him into the ribs with her elbow. Since he was wearing armor, that wasn't a very smart move and only lead to her bruising her elbow.

“Do you think that if we survive this,” she mumbled, “You could maybe learn to be a bit more polite?”

“No.”

“I Didn't think so.”

Both his and her tone were light and teasing. But Ayla could feel the tension in his body, and knew what he was thinking. It was the same thing she was thinking:

This might be the last night we can be together.

Down in the outer courtyard, Hans finally succeeded in lifting the beam out of its holders. It clattered to the ground, and the noise made Ayla jump.

Reuben hissed. “This is it.”

She nodded, just as Hans gripped the left wing of the great gate and began to pull it open. It scraped over the cobblestones, resisting the efforts of the lone man.

“Yes,” she whispered. “It is.”

“Ayla...”

“Yes, Reuben?”

“This might be last night of our lives.”

He had said it. He had actually said it. She swallowed.