𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬.

Spencer had left a few hours after they had cleared their plates of the cheesy pasta dish; a quick phone call from his colleagues reminded him that he wasn't actually meant to be having dinner at Esther's house and he had only been there to ask he...

Spencer had left a few hours after they had cleared their plates of the cheesy pasta dish; a quick phone call from his colleagues reminded him that he wasn't actually meant to be having dinner at Esther's house and he had only been there to ask her a few questions.

He had asked her questions though, although not all of them pertained to the ongoing murder investigation. Esther didn't mind his questions though; it was nice to finally be able to talk to someone besides Joey and Nancy from the diner or her work friends; if she was being honest, she didn't have very many friends in Forklea.

High school hadn't been easy for a girl like Esther, a town like this only allows people who share their exact ideals to thrive and Esther didn't share those ideals. She wasn't athletic and stark-raving mad about football like the majority of the small towns inhabitants and she wasn't a cheerleader or part of the yearbook committee – if this was 'Heathers'  she would label herself as a Veronica, y'know before the whole JD mess.

But this wasn't 'Heathers'  this was Forklea, and a murderer was on the loose. One who seemed to have a vendetta against those who went to Central High; Esther wondered if maybe they just so happened to wear a Guy Fawkes mask to complete the look.

When Spencer had left, the house had seemed to feel much colder, maybe it was because the literal genius had distracted Esther from the outside world with his random facts and endearing remarks or maybe it was simply the October chill worming its way into the old bones of the house, starting the long process of freezing the structure until it can thaw out in the spring. The only thing that Spencer had left her that kept her warm was the knowledge that Carrie was stable but in a coma; that alone helped keep the frosty fingers of October and the horror they brought at bay for at least a little while.

The previous evenings chill seemed to linger until the next morning and the wind it was carried on seemed to send the orange and brown leaves down from the trees into a downward spiral until the found their destination in the mildew covered grass

Esther tried her best not to slip of the wet leaves and grass as she made her way to her car, juggling a coffee cup and her work back on one hip and a light jacket and her car keys in another; that wouldn't been easy for a normal person but Esther had penned herself as 'vertically challenged' and those extra items only made the challenge of staying up right that much harder.