01. 𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛𝙞𝙨𝙝

chapter one | selfish

༻                ♡  ♡  ♡                ༺

The news about the hurricane came to the island sort of last minute. It wasn't unusual, though, considering they got storms all the time. But this storm was supposedly dangerous, according to Dylan's mother. So, when the news of Agatha came about, Heather Harper was quick with rule making.

Dylan laid on her queen mattress with her earbuds blocking anything other than her music, with her ginger hair spread across looking like a wreck. She didn't really feel the need to get loose today or do anything at all, really. For the past two days she's been just, well, a bit lazy. Not to mention she was still waiting for her payment for distracting those two predatory security guards, even if she did fail halfway through.

As Dylan was bopping her head along to the rhythm of the sound, her mother walked in. She didn't notice until she felt like she was being stared at, then when she opened her eyes her heart practically skipped a beat.

"Geez, mom, don't you knock?" Dylan gasped out after flinching like there were some monster and sat up, taking out her headphones.

"Like you would have answered if I did," Heather rolled her eyes and took a seat next to her daughter.

Dylan scooter over a bit, you know, for personal space and looked ahead at her mother. "Is there a reason you almost gave me a heart attack or are you just here to bother me?"

Heather gave a pointed look at Dylan and pursed her lips together. "Don't make me ground you, young lady. I'm still your mother."

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry and I love you. But, seriously, what's with the interruption?"

"There's going to be a huge hurricane tonight so I just wanted to set some rules, no biggie," Heather shrugged and placed a smile on her face while Dylan was just confused.

"Why do there needs to be rules? It's a hurricane, not a babysitting gig. I think I have everything figured out."

"Well good, because you'd know that you're going to have to help clean everything tomorrow and the next day for the neighborhood out of niceness. Oh, and you're not allowed to see your little friends unless you ask me."

Dylan only furrowed her eyebrows at the stupid "rules" that were being made. Why would she help the neighborhood that she doesn't even like with the damage cleanup? Sure, maybe she'd help around with her own property ( if there even were any damage ), but the rest can go screw themselves. And why would she need to ask to see her friends? That one seemed a bit biased in her opinion.

But she knew no matter how hard she tried to fight back against her dictator mother. However, there was no harm in trying.

"One, the neighborhood can go fuck them—"

"Language, Dylan!"

"Sorry—screw themselves. Two, why do you hate my friends so much? They are always nice to you despite the attitude you give."

"I hear them all the time calling me a bitch."

This made Dylan hold in a chuckle and slap her hand on her mouth to keep from laughing, but Heather didn't find it funny and instead stood up. "I'm serious, Dylan. You're going to spend quality time with your family, I mean, your poor dad hasn't seen you since you came home three days ago."