chapter nineteen

~~~

            Dedicated to Laughing_Liv for all the support she’s given me on literally every book. Fans like you make me the luckiest gal on earth :)

            ~~~

Whilst Ava slept in the next morning, I drove into Hamilton’s central area and did errands, including running to the pharmacy and picking up a few things, whilst also picking up some aspirin for Ava to take when she awoke with a throbbing headache and a hangover I would definitely not be jealous of. Unfortunately, they were fresh out of pills that could cure a broken heart.

            By the time I got home, Ava still wasn’t awake, and I walked into the kitchen and began baking a batch of flavorless pancakes for Ava to eat when she woke up.

            Maybe the smell awoke her, or maybe it was the fact that it was fast approaching quarter past ten in the morning, but around ten minutes later Ava came stumbling into the room, wearing an oversized cotton shirt and a pair of plaid pajama shorts. Her hair stuck out around her tired face like a birds nest, and she looked like death incarnated.

            “You look like crap,” I told her, turning around and flipping a pancake.

            She groaned and slid into a seat, burying her face in her small hands. “You know what, Candice?” she said. “I feel like crap, too.”

            “Pancake?” I asked. “Gluten free so it doesn’t upset your stomach.”

            She looked up and smiled. “Thanks.”

            I dished her up two of the sizzling delicacies and then fetched a glass of apple juice and two tablets. I handed them over to her, and she smiled gratefully.

            “Jamie’s coming over today,” I informed her as I drizzled some sugar and lemon juice on my pancakes.

            She rubbed her temples and slowly nibbled on the crust of the pancake. “Really? How do you know?”

            “Because I called him last night,” I told her slowly. “I thought after what happened with Rose you might want Jamie there…”

            Her face crumpled at the mention of her girlfriend—well, ex-girlfriend, now, I supposed. But she chose not to touch on the subject, and, instead said, “Oh, okay. I didn’t realize you guys were exactly on speaking terms.”

            “We haven’t been lately,” I admitted. “After Chance and I got together. Chance was just telling me this weekend that apparently he’s angry at us…”

            “Of course he is,” Ava scoffed. “You broke his heart and trampled all over it.”