Ugh, the last thing I needed was a stupid paper to write.

       Shorzin put a list of topics we could choose from up on the board if someone couldn't think of any themselves, and I picked the easiest one I saw. 'How does the environmental setting of Deshua effect the 'mystical atmosphere' according to legend?' At least I could just Google a bunch of shit for that. And it was the closest topic away from that god-awful fallen angel bull shit that I could find.

       River didn't share my disdain. He decided to dive headfirst into all that unnerving nonsense. "I'm going to find that girl." He whispered excitedly as the sound of fingers typing and quiet muttering filled the lecture hall. I slanted my eyes towards his, not agreeing with the bright light shining there.

       "If there even was a girl, she's dead."

       "Oh, I know that." He chided before typing his topic on an open Word Document. "I'm going to figure out who she was. Maybe write about the clothing style back then. I mean, come on, there's no way 'no visible-ankle McGee' is going to turn some powerful immortal guy's attention." River rolled his eyes heavenward like that was the most normal thing anyone has ever said.

       "None of this exists, River. Shorzin even said it's all a legend." At least trying to convince him helped try to convince me.

       "Well, it's a legend a bunch of people believed. I'll probably go to the town's archives later this week to pull up all the info I can, if you two want to join." His voice was far too excited for his own good. No one should have that much fun writing a research paper.

       "Yeah, sure. Sounds good." I mumbled as I opened my own Word Document. I really didn't want anything to do with those archives, or that legend, or stupid angel bullshit, but I figured going with them would be better than doing it by myself. "What are you going to do, Siena?" I called to the brooding goth. She was wearing her usual black-gear get up, her lips painted that dark purple that matched her claw-like nails. Those creepy bright gray eyes flickered over to my gaze.

       "Probably research that Avidus guy. He seems hot." She shrugged her shoulders, and the thin chain that connected the fabric of her shirt to her belt lope shimmered in the light. Figures the goth would find a greedy evil angel hot.

-&-

       I didn't bother thinking about that stupid paper for the rest of the day. Honestly, I kept debating on whether or not I should just drop the class. It was still relatively early in the semester and they were allowing drops. I would have to take it again eventually, but at least all this crazy stuff with those red-eyed monsters and psychotic psychics would die down by then. I really didn't want to have to deal with that class while my mind kept tearing itself apart.

       And the nightmares were getting worse.

       I woke up in the middle of the night, panting and gasping for breath. There was always more blood with each dream, and the fire always seemed to burn hotter. I blinked around my dimly lit room. I kept the closet's light on when I slept now, with the door slightly opened. Call it childish or whatever, but it made me feel better. My bedroom door was closed, and I had to shove down the disappointment. I really shouldn't expect Dri to save me every time.

       My hands shook as I gripped the comforter, and my heart beat a thousand miles a minute. I didn't want to go back to sleep. I couldn't pretend like I wasn't terrified of the dark corners of my room, or under my bed.

       God, way to be a fucking child, Larkin.

       I lived in some of the shittiest places in California that anyone could have imagined. I had to learn how to be tough and fearless quickly when I was younger. Or, at least I learned not to let anyone know I was afraid. But four boys with 'seemingly' red eyes turned me into a frightened squirreled instantly.