“I love you Anelisa” he said looking into my eyes and for the first time I saw frailty in his eyes, I saw this burning flame of passion and what I’m assuming is love because it was none like I had seen before. He was serious and the smile he had, had disappeared into something else. It was the first time he had uttered those words to me and I was suddenly starstruck not knowing how to respond.

Should I also tell him I love him? does he even mean or he’s just saying that? 

I tried opening the door but it was locked. I had not expected that from him and I didn’t think I was ready to deal with such.

“Where are you going Sweetlips?” he said placing his hand over mine

I shrugged. I didn’t know where I was going. I was probably going to go and hide and never come out of my shell. I was terrified of something I had no idea of.

“Aike lets go” he said starting the car

Was I wrong to not tell him I loved him too? was it not too soon for ‘I love yous’ and all that other stuff?

I won’t lie Ahlume telling me he loves me scared the daylights out of me. I had nothing against him telling me that because I felt the same but I felt like it was too damn soon plus he’s in varsity and doing his last year and I’m scared he might just say that to get into my pants and then bounce. I’m paranoid… shoot me! I placed my hand over his on the gear and smiled at him, he returned a smile

“I know Sweetlips” he said turning back to the road

I didn’t believe in true love or fate or destiny or anything along those lines but I was convinced that Ahlume and I were brought together by a greater force that none of us understood because looking back nothing was able to keep us apart, not even mamu’Namhla.

“what do you know?” I asked poking his visibly hard biceps in his t-shirt

He chuckled “that you love me. DUH!”

I found myself blushing “whatever Ahlume Adams”

He side eyed me “you need to get me a nickname already. first name basis is not for you”

I rolled my eyes “did you just roll your eyes at me Anelisa Sibeko?”

I chuckled “maybe I did. Maybe I didn’t. Who knows?” I said with a smirk

He shook his head laughing softly “Hay sho! Keep it up Sweetlips”

We parked in front of Rocco Mama’s on Florida road. He got out and came to open my door then took my hand into his. We walked into the restaurant hand in hand and were allocated to a table for two. We sat down opposite each other and went through the menu’s over light conversations.

“So Miss Marhadebe, what do you want to eat?” he asked taking my free hand into his

I shrugged my shoulders “I don’t know, can I be given a chance to just look through the menu first”