Him: Dad is going to pull through, Mom, don't worry.

Me: Yeah, the old man is stronger than you think.

Her: Yeah, I know, you guys. Thanks. Mile, best of luck with your test, okay?

Him: Thanks, Mom.

Her: I love you, boys.

Me: We love you too, Nathi.

She chuckled.

Her: Bye, guys.

Us: Bye, Mom.

He parked, and we both got out.

Him: I'll probably come out late today, so take the key, and I'll call you, ayt?

Me: Yeah, sure. Best of luck with your test.

Him: Thanks, bro.

With that, he left me, and I headed to my department. I saw the nun standing in a far corner, so I made my way to her.

Me: Why are you here?

Her: Because I can help you.

Me: What do you mean you can

help me? What's the deal?

Her: You've met him.

Me: Who?

.

.

*ANELISA

I took them up on their offer and said yes. I guess we were friends now. We were 30 minutes early, so we went to chill on the school benches. She was asking me so many questions and just wanting to get to know me. I tried asking her about herself.

Her: What you see is what you get. I'm bubbly, and I have 3 other siblings, one of them being my nephew, and that's just me. Being the granddaughter of Derrick Bess is not easy.

Me: I can't even imagine.

Her: So tell me about your mom. I'm sure you look just like her.

Me: I never met her.

Her: What do you mean you never met her?

Me: I mean I never met her. She gave birth to me and then up'd and left.

Her: I'm so sorry to hear that.

She said, touching my hand and nodding with a consoling smile.

Me: It's okay. I'm over it.

Her: Then who do you live with? Who takes care of you?

Me: I live with my grandmother. She takes care of me, I guess.

Her: And your father?

Me: Don't know him too.

Her: Don't you at least know your mother's name? That's if you want to meet her.

Me: I've asked my grandmother countless times, but she never tells me anything about her.

Her: Have you tried going through her things, maybe?

I chuckled. Okay, maybe this friendship or whatever was a terrible idea. I would never do such a thing to my granny.

Me: No! That's wrong.

Her: If you were really serious about knowing your mom, you would do anything and everything to find her... I'm just saying. Let's go to class.

Me: I need to go to the ladies first. I'll meet you there.

Her: Sure thing.

We walked in different directions. She went to class, and I made my way to the ladies. I walked in, and it was empty and dark. I searched for the light and clicked, but nothing. Instead, there was fog, and I was suddenly in what looked like a cemetery. I was tied down inside a circle with a star, and I was tied to small poles inside that star with my legs spread out. Then there was another circle with the same thing, except there was another me in that circle. Then there was a woman with a black cape covering her head standing in front of what looked like a table. Me and this other me were trying to break free from this, but we were both failing dismally.

Her: I didn't want to have to do this, but it has to be done.

She turned around with a knife in her hand.

"Anelisa!"

I turned around, and I was literally on the floor the way I was in whatever alternate universe I was in, and there was no fog or whatsoever. What was going on with me? I got up from the floor and fixed my uniform. It was some girl from my class; she was looking at me weirdly.

Her: What's the deal with you?

I stared at her, my eyes wide with fear, and quickly bolted out of the ladies' room, almost like a deer escaping danger. Glancing back over my shoulder every few steps, I couldn't shake off the confusion and fear creeping in. None of this made any sense. What on earth was happening to me?

Entering the classroom, I noticed our teacher hadn't arrived yet. I headed to my usual spot, and Imi was already seated beside me. She looked ready to start a conversation when an unexpected wave of dizziness hit me. Just as I lifted my gaze, the mysterious lady from yesterday walked into our class. Standing confidently, she placed her books on the desk, appearing very unlike the nun I encountered before.

Her: Good morning, class. My name is Neliswa, but you guys can call me Nel.

She trailed off as I think I collapsed on the table. Everything just went blurry, and things started spinning, and I just couldn't breathe anymore. Everything was just too much for me to take in.