Never Had the Balls

Start from the beginning

The pale boy cocked his head to the side, a bit confused. Shiro worked at an Animal Shelter and Keith volunteered sometimes since he was having a hard time finding a good job. He usually tagged along with Shiro and would hang out with the animals or just stay in the breakroom. Keith thought for a minute and then realized he would avoid the cafe. His heart ached. But yet he wasn't sure why he nodded.

Shiro got up and pat Keith on the shoulder, "Then come on," he said, "They don't allow shirtless kids to hang around there" Shiro chuckled, grabbing his brother's shirt from the floor and throwing it at him.

He left the room and Keith cursed a bit under his breath out of annoyance. What a grumpy man. He slithered on his black t-shirt and got out of bed, still wearing his jeans from the night before. Keith said morning quietly and Adam gave his usual response of a loud, enthusiastic, chirpy greeting. At this point, one morning would feel incomplete without it. Keith had been living with the couple before they even got married.

He sat down in front of the plate of food already on the table and ate it quickly. Keith didn't realize how hungry he was. But it made sense since he and Lance mainly drank and only had a burger last night.

Lance.

There he goes, thinking of that asshole again.

Keith furrowed his eyebrows and ran a hand through his tangled and matted hair out of frustration. His mum used to do that whenever he got upset. She would run her finger down his nose gently and brush his short, choppy, hair at the time to calm him down. Keith relaxed, not realizing how tense he was. He hated himself for thinking of Lance, but it couldn't be helped. His sun-kissed face, the constellation of freckles, his eyes, the stupid smile and straight teeth.

The pout from last night and before was embedded into Keith's memory. Now he couldn't look at him the same. Maybe Keith shouldn't have said anything about knowing him. Maybe then everything would've gone smoothly.

Ironically, Shiro spoke, "So," he started, "How was the date?"

Keith tensed up once again, really not wanting to remember the night before. Adam's eyes were on him now too.

"Oh yeah," he said, almost forgetting, "Come on, was it bad?"

The pale boy felt upset, hoping his face wasn't showing it. Keith shrugged, still eating his breakfast made up of eggs and leftover syrup from the waffles that helped decorate the plate earlier.

"It was ok."

"Just ok?"

Keith nodded silently.

"You know if it went bad you can talk to us, right?"

He nodded again.

The kitchen fell into a silence, the only thing being heard was more eggs being made. Shiro looked to Adam and all his spouse did in return was shake his head. Shiro got up and put his plate in the sink, kissing Adam and thanking him for the food. Keith rolled his eyes.

Shiro walked over and pat Keith's shoulder, "I'll be waiting in the car. Don't be long because I need to go into work in a few." Keith nodded, finishing his food quickly and putting it in the sink. Before he left, he gave Adam this secret handshake they worked out together when he used to babysit Keith. It was their sign of being long time friends.

Keith grabbed his hoodie, slipped on his shoes and ran to the car. He closed the passenger door and buckled up, Shiro looking up from his phone.

"I know something went wrong last night."

Keith stayed silent for a second and shook his head, "It's none of your business."

Of course, Keith would do that, he always shut people out when he was upset. When his father died, nobody was there to comfort him. His mum had disappeared back to Korea after an argument with her husband before he died. She was declared missing for years. In all those years, Keith could never open up to somebody without the fear of losing them too.