"MeMe?" Jake addressed her nervously. Unconsciously, she had tilted her head to stare at the ceiling and stopped talking. At the sound of her name, she flitted her eyes to his.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, y'know, about the whole Bella situation. I didn't mean it when I said you shouldn't be Alpha. I was just upset," Jacob apologized. Meadow stared hard at him. She knew he was sorry about the things he said, but she didn't know if it was his guilt egging him on to apologize or if he understood how his words had affected her. Jake was one of her biggest supporters. Hearing him say had a bigger impact on her than she let on.

"It's not all guilt," he said, sensing where her thoughts were leading. "I am actually sorry. I just - I really like Bella, and I don't know if I'll ever imprint on someone."

"There are other girls, Jake," Meadow said softly. "I know how much you like her, but she's made her choice. She doesn't want to be with you. Think about it. Accept it. Move on. That's all you can do."

"I just don't want to lose her. I feel like she's the last remnant of my life before the pack. My crush on her is the only thing that hasn't changed since I changed," he confessed.

"Not everything has changed since we first shifted," she said. Jacob sighed and leaned in his chair so that his head laid on Meadow's stomach. Meadow used her right hand to sift through his hair and comfort him. They stayed in the position for a while before there was a knock at the front door. Jake slowly moved to get the door. When he came back, Paul was walking behind him.

"I'll leave you two alone," Jake muttered before he left them alone. Paul stared at Meadow with guilt and horror. Shifting slightly, the blanket around her moved, showing off her bandages. Meadow gestured to the seat once occupied by Jacob. Paul sat down and went to grab her left hand before he realized his mistake. Meadow held out her right hand and Paul immediately grabbed it and bowed his head.

"I'm sorry," Paul said quietly. His voice was watery, and Meadow could see a tear roll down his cheek. "I should've protected you better."

"It's not your fault, Paul," Meadow said softly.

"I should've known he would try something. He's been so off lately. I just didn't think he'd-"

Meadow shushed hum and squeezed his hand. Paul squeezed back and held onto her hand like it was a lifeline.

"It's only temporary," she said.

"That's not the point!" Paul yelled. He realized his mistake and apologized before saying, "When Sam pushed you, it was like everything moved in slow motion. I felt like I couldn't run to you fast enough. Seeing you hurt - seeing you cry - hurts me, makes me cry, too. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Meadow brought their intertwined hands to her chest and placed his hand over her heart.

"I'm still here," she said as she stared in his eyes. He stared for a moment before he nodded his head and accepted her words. He sniffled and quickly rubbed his eyes to remove the evidence of his tears.

"I didn't come here to cry," he mumbled under his breath.

"Why did you come, then, if it wasn't to cry?" Meadow asked with a laugh. At the sound of her laugh, Paul perked up and left the room to grab a bag. He pulled something out of the bag and presented it to her. In his hands was a box of chocolates. Meadow moved to sit up, and Paul jumped to help her. Once she was in a semi-comfortable position she reached for the box of chocolates. Paul opened them for her and watched her take a bite out of one filled with caramel.

"I remember you told me you like sweets, so I stopped by the store to get you these," he explained.

"Thanks," Meadow said around a mouth full of chocolate. Paul chuckled at her antics and grabbed one for himself. Meadow narrowed her eyes at him but let him take one.