"Why not on campus?"

"This is a gated community. Anyone in here has to be authorized by the headmaster."

"I'd like to speak to him." I scoffed,

"He'd like you to get the hell off of his campus and come back with a warrant."

"Excuse me?" I extended my hand,

"Alex James. You have no reason to be here, disturbing one of my classes and questioning my faculty members."

"He's a suspect in a robbery."

"You're wasting your time. I will happily send security tapes to your chief, along with a wordy complaint about you disturbing my prestigious school and scaring my kids."

"I'm a cop, why would they be afraid of me?"

"Ferguson.", a kid behind me whispered.

"George Floyd.", another said.

"We could go on.", Brian said, ending it, "It's hard to preach about cops protecting us when cops hurt and kill the people we love. It's hard to teach my son what to do if he gets pulled over when doing everything right could still end bad."

"Brian's worked here for three years and has been one of my top teachers since the moment he came.", I said, "He's heavily involved in the community and with his students and everything else that makes him a perfect member of our campus. You have no right to barge into his daily life on a suspicion and accusation. You need to leave, I'll be contacting your chief."

"I'll come back with a warrant."

"Please do. Here's my number and office hours.", I said handing him my card, "Goodbye." He hesitated before storming out of the room. It was quiet for a minute before I sighed,

"Where were we?" Brian paused for a second before nodding, continuing his lesson. Class was over soon after the incident as everyone filed out. Anthony paused at the door, turning around and hugging Brian,

"I love you."

"I love you too kid. Have a good day."

"Be careful." Brian pet his head softly,

"Go on. Don't be late." Anthony left, shooting me a smile and closing the door. "Thank you.", Brian whispered, sitting at his desk, "So much."

"You didn't do anything. That was fucking bullshit." He laughed softly,

"Yeah. Welcome to being black Alex."

"I'm so sorry that happened. And has before and will again."

"Not much we can do but try and fix it. I just hate thing to raise Tony in a world like this."

"I know. I hate it with Mia too. I'm grateful we don't have to go through it but watching you and others go through it isn't easier." He nodded as I sat across from him, "George Floyd was on the news the other week. Mia never listens to the news but she like, zeroed in on it and asked why that cop didn't get arrested. I mean what am I supposed to say to that?"

"Tony asked me and Miguel the same thing. We didn't know what to say either. Last year, I sat him down and tried to talk to him about that stuff. But he has so many questions I can't answer. Questions my mom couldn't and still can't answer for me." He sighed, "He's honestly terrified. Being black is dangerous, being black and gay and married to a Mexican is practically a death sentence."

"Not in this community. I'll stand beside you, in any situation like that. I'll bail you out of jail, I'll protect your kid, whatever. This is my community and my people and I know my people are good people. I'll protect that until I die."

"Thank you. That really means a lot to all of us."

"Of course." I paused, "Can I ask a personal question?" He forced a laugh,

"You just saved my ass from sitting in jail or getting shot in front of my son, so go for it."

"Where's Tony's mom?" He hesitated,

"Chloe. She uh- she was my best friend in high school. Our sophomore year, she got raped. She was scared and no one believed her, so we lied and said it was mine. When he was born, she stuck it out until we graduated but she couldn't do it. We couldn't keep lying to everyone else and she couldn't look at him without crying. I told her to go and that we'd be here. We haven't heard from her since. Then I met Miguel in college and-"

"We've been in love ever since." I looked up as Brian's husband Miguel came in, "Anty said to come check on you. Wouldn't say what happened."

"Just the usual, my boss saving my ass."

"Thank you.", Miguel said softly, looking to me. I nodded,

"Literally anytime."