“I don’t think you’ve grasped the situation this is the offer or...” Daala began

                “Admiral.” Tarkin’s cool voice cut through and Daala stopped mid sentence. “I believe there could be some leeway but there is a single point I will re-irritate, there are only two locations your unit can be, here at the Maw or under my command as offered” Tarkin’s cool voice became cold and Thorne thought for a moment, and then sensed them with his other senses. Tarkin’s mind was just as stoic as before, Daala was raging towards Thorne and Odosk seemed to be enjoying watching someone speak back to Grand Moff Tarkin.

                “I understand the two locations quite clearly. When I put this decision forward to my unit I do not doubt that they will follow me for the Empire but giving them a choice keeps their freedom that we have worked hard for as citizens of the Terran Federation.” Thorne replied

                “But there is no real choice, sit in prison or take up our fight” Daala said

                “But there is still the choice, a simple one to make, but a choice, and that is what is important. Not everyone can be bent to a single will but given a choice in the right way they generally make the right one.” Thorne countered.

                “So what you are giving them is the illusion of freedom over the reality.” Daala said

                “Freedom is an illusion, as it is an abstract concept it can’t be anything else” Thorne countered

                “Are you saying as long as you sell the illusion of freedom, then people are more likely to follow?” Daala asked intrigued, her conviction to the Empire could never be doubted but an easier method of controlling the outer rim where the use of force was a minimum could be intriguing

                “Generally yes, but there are always exceptions and exceptions within the Terran Federation were disciplined publicly, either by flogging or hanging.” Thorne had administered both and ordered private executions.

                “I find that fear keeps the masses in order.” Tarkin stated “and the aim of this facility is to create the weapons to keep systems in order, the odd demonstration and all will fear the power of the Empire.” When Tarkin finished Daala and Odosk were nodding in agreement.

                “Just to voice the opposite side, fear causes only causes two responses in people. Fight or Flight.” Thorne said beginning to see that there was a position for debate at the table and to discern more information.

                “But with all hope of a successful fight and consequence of any negative action being, say...the destruction of their entire home system, they will not fight back only take flight and hide;

thus leaving only loyal citizens behind.” Tarkin replied

                “The fight does not have to be immediate or traceable to a specific point. Freedom fighters risk the wrath of the establishment when fighting on behalf of their fellows, the majority understand what they are doing and will support them, if only in whispers. They will strike where retaliation is improbable, significant military establishments that the destruction of which would be unthinkable, and that would diminish the threat of the weapon as it makes it impotent against certain locations, and thus a safe haven.” Thorne said and watched as Tarkin finished his bite, Daala and Odosk kept their eyes from lingering on either man, this was being seen as a battle of wills and Tarkin’s response now would tell them how to react to these obviously non-Empire statements.