"No." He hesitated,

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Night Alex."

~~~~

"You have every right to be mad.", Jake said over coffee.

"I'm not mad.", I whispered.

"You're scared."

"I'm terrified.", I said looking at him, "I really started to feel safe here. I talked to him, I went to him when I was upset, I trusted him. Jake, I passed out- I lost fucking consciousness because he hit me so much. That wasn't a punishment." I paused, "He was doing so good. With everything. Everyone was happier and the school was just... better. Everyone in that class was a family. Now it's awkward. None of us hang out, especially not with me, because they're so scared if him again. One of them has been going through so much shit the past week and I know he'd do better if he just talked about it but he can't talk to Alex anymore."

"You stopped calling him dad."

"It was never his job to be my dad. He was never supposed to want me, I knew that. I never should have gotten attached when I knew he'd hurt me."

"I know it's gonna take a lot of time and effort to fix this, but you have to. Both of you. Mia, I've never seen him so torn up. Ever. He feels so terrible about it kid. He's so sad you stopped talking to him and you're scared of him. He knows why and he understands, but he's so sad he fucked up. When you called him Alex the other night, he called me crying. Crying. I've never heard of Alex crying. Ever. Very few people can really get to him; me and you. That's it. I will help in whatever way I can, but we have to fix it."

"I know. The voices won't stop now. It's really bad again."

~~~~

"Dad?" He sat up in bed quickly,

"Yeah? Yes?", he panicked. I shuffled over, sitting in front of him and hesitating,

"I-I-", I stopped. What was I supposed to say? Eventually, I sighed and just hugged him. He hugged me back, tighter than ever,

"I'm so fucking sorry Mia. So, so sorry."

"I-I forgive you."

"You do!?" I nodded,

"Yeah. I have to. I can't live like this."

"Me either. I love you so much."

"I love you too dad."

~~~~

Someone knocked on the classroom door before a man walked in.

"Can I help you?", dad asked.

"I'm looking for Sebastian?" Sebastian lit up, looking up from his paper,

"Gio!", he said jumping up and hugging him, "What're you doing?"

"I... work here now. Surprise!", the man, Gio said, "Starting next week at least."

"Really!?", he asked, looking from Gio to dad and back, "That's awesome!"

"Care to explain?", Ashlyn asked.

"Oh. Yeah.", he laughed a little, "Guys, this is my brother Gio. Gio... this is my family."

~~~~

"Ash?"

"I need help.", she choked out over the phone, "I-I don't know what to do."

"Okay. Where are you?"

"Outside campus. Downtown."

"I'm coming." I hung up and jumped out of bed, throwing on shoes and going to dad's room, "Dad, wake up."

"What's wrong?", he asked, turning on the light.

"Ashlyn needs help."

~~~~

"Are you okay?", dad asked as Ashlyn jumped into the car.

"Not really.", she whispered. He started driving back towards campus gates, sighing,

"What were you thinking? How did you even get off campus?"

"I climbed the fence."

"Why?" She hesitated,

"To see Shon." Dad froze,

"I really hope that wasn't you telling me you snuck out to deliberately disobey me and put yourself in danger."

"I'm really sorry."

"Mhmm. You're grounded for two weeks. School, our apartment or the dorms. That's it."

"Yes sir."

"I'll figure out what else to do with you in the morning kid."

"Yes sir."