Chapter Five

Kyra stopped in her tracks upon reaching the top of the huge, winding staircase as her eyes looked upon a woman and a man, with long, almost glowing hair, beautiful features and just a regal air about them.

It was of no question in Kyra's mind. This was Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn that Haldir and Legolas have been speaking about. Kyra felt her knees shake as she stepped a little closer to them, her heart was pounding in her chest that she feared that they could hear it. Her eyes were then cast downward as she got onto one knee and bowed.

"The lady from another world," Lord Celeborn stated. "Please rise, we have much to discuss with you."

Kyra froze, so it was true, she wasn't in her own world. She sighed, so much for continuing to deny it.

"Kyra Matheson, denying where you are will only inhibit your growth here. Take matters in stride and allow your heart to guide you."

"Wait, hello, How did you know both my name and what I was thinking?"

"Legolas informed us of your name." With the questioning look deepening, Lord Celeborn then added, "As for the answer to your unspoken question; Elven kind has a telepathic link that we can communicate with other Elves, and only a few are gifted to speak to Men."

Kyra nodded, trying to store the never-ending information that she seemed to be receiving in her brain. Honestly, it was giving her a blasted headache. And, now the new found information that they could basically read minds was a bit taunting, and she couldn't help but feel slightly angered at this. So much for her own privacy.

"Do not fear, we only read ones minds..."

"Stop reading my mind!" Kyra growled, interrupting the Lord and Lady. They were basically the King and Queen of Lothlorien and perhaps it wasn't the most brightest of ideas she ever had, but really, she was going to stop this once and for all. "I don't care when you do it, just don't do it to me. If I have a thought I want to share with someone, only then will I. To have my mind read without permission is just wrong and a violation of someone's privacy."

"Calm down." Lady Galadriel commented, a moment or so after the woman's angered outburst before continuing on. "We were trying to say that we don't read minds unless a dire consequence warrants one or if someone's thoughts are so strong, that they are loud enough to hear without us putting in much effort."

Her voice was sort of getting on Kyra's nerves. Do these beings even show emotions? Before Kyra to stop the question from tumbling out of her mouth, she asked them if they were Vulcan. Now, it wouldn't surprise her if they were. They looked too damned good to be anything but. They rarely showed emotion, and I bet if she did something illogical they would more than likely say something about it.

Hell, if Elves were real, what's stopping someone from saying that Vulcan's were real.

Kyra couldn't help it when her shoulder's sagged, disappointment washing over her. It would've been awesome if they were, alas, they weren't. She sighed, rubbing a hand over her face in frustration. "Okay. Okay. But if you're going to next time, just...either keep it to yourself or ask me first."

They both nodded. "Will you follow me, Kyra?"

"Uh, sure."

Giving Celeborn a little nod Kyra followed Galadriel down a few stairs, taking a jealous note on how the woman - or elf lady, whatever the female elves called themselves - practically glided as she guided Kyra through a wooden arch, and, as they passed through, Kyra's brows shot up, seeing a huge mirror sitting there. The lady turned, "Will you look into the mirror?"

"Uh, why?" Kyra asked, "I mean, I'm not going to argue, but, you know, it's a mirror."

"It is more than just a mirror." Galadriel answered, "Even I do not know what it shall reveal to you. Only you."

If that didn't sound mysterious, Kyra didn't know what would. Sighing, she figured that she may as well get it done and over with. She vaguely thought that something was going to reach through the mirror and pull her in, but shook her head. It was a mirror...

Oh God! What happens if it's like something out of the Mirrors movies where a person's reflections kills them in a painful way. She hesitated and glanced back at the Lady who waited for her patiently. "Uh...it-it's not going kill me, is it?"

A questioning look crossed over her angelic features and she laughed kindheartedly. "Of course not, Kyra. You have such a vivid imagination. I promise, it will not harm you in the least."

Kyra felt slightly comforted by her and felt her cheeks heat up in embarrassment. Taking a deep breath to keep her heart from beating out of her chest, Kyra closed her eyes and took the final step to come face-to-face with the mirror. Slowly, she opened one eye and then the next. She watched on in awe as the mirror seemed to ripple, as if she was looking into water, her reflection slowly disappearing and being replaced by her apartment building, it was on fire and she felt her stomach churn at the sight of the paramedics bringing out a female, burnt beyond recognition, but she knew. Kyra knew well, that the one being brought out of the building was her.

How could it be her though, she was right there. If she was, she would've heard the fire alarm going off.

Wouldn't she?

Before she could think more of it, the image changed to the grounds of Lothlorien, where she saw herself wearing different clothing and learning how to master a sword and being taught archery.

And then there was nothing. She touched the mirror, hoping that the image would come back and show her something different, but to no avail.

Kyra's heart was beating rapidly in her chest as her breathing came out in short, snagged breaths. Her eyes burned from the tears that formed and threatened to fall. Images of her burnt body came crashing down and she fell to her knees, realization striking.

And without looking at the Lady, she choked out. "I-I'm dead."