Chapter 13: Unexpected Encounters

Start from the beginning

Taking her father's advice and remembering that she needed a new bottle of Color-Change Ink for taking notes, Jessica found herself walking to Scribbulus Writing Elements. However, she slowed her pace down when she spotted a group of children crowding outside of the shop next to it: Quality Quidditch Supplies. Based on the excited murmurs coming from them, she could only assume that the Nimbus 2001 must have been on display already. In an instant, the image of Oliver Wood popped into her head.

I wonder if he knows it's out already, she thought, her feet taking her closer to the shop without her realizing it. As if the stars had aligned perfectly, the person she was thinking of was right behind her.

Oliver Wood just so happened to be in Diagon Alley at the same day and time. He had managed to convince his parents to shop for his school supplies early just so he could get a glimpse of the Nimbus 2001 as soon as it was released. While his parents had gone off to buy the rest of his books that he hadn't already purchased at Flourish and Blotts, he obviously went straight for Quality Quidditch Supplies only for him to spot a familiar black-haired girl standing outside it. Grinning mischievously, he snuck up behind her and placed both his hands on her shoulders.

He assumed she was going to be startled, so he expected her to merely jump at the sudden action. However, Oliver wasn't prepared for her to swing her arm and elbow him on the stomach at all.

"Ow! Hawthorne, it's me!"

Jessica gasped when she found Oliver Wood slightly bent over and clutching his stomach.

"Oh my Godric, Wood!" she said in surprise.

"Y-You're pretty strong, lass."

"I'm so sorry," she said, but let out a small giggle.

"You're laughing?"

"Sorry, sorry, but it's your fault for startling me."

Oliver huffed and straightened up, wincing a bit as he was still feeling the slight pain from being elbowed.

"I'm only going to forgive you because it's been a while since I last saw you," said Oliver.

Jessica grinned sheepishly before saying, "Are you here to see the Nimbus 2001?"

"Of course. I was just about to before you attacked me," he said, receiving an eye roll from the girl standing before him.

"Stop complaining. I was just about to look at it, too. Now, let's go."

She grabbed ahold of the nearest piece of cloth on Oliver that she could reach — the ends of his long-sleeved shirt that ended at his wrists — and tugged on it to force him to follow her into the shop. Her hand brushed his hand momentarily and he couldn't help but stumble slightly, both from that small action and the sudden pull she gave for him to move along.

The two Gryffindors entered Quality Quidditch Supplies excitedly, heading straight for the Nimbus 2001 displayed behind the wide glass window. It was incredibly sleek and polished, black and silver in color, and looked hi-tech. The crazy Quidditch fanatic inside of Jessica was screaming at how impressive the broomstick looked and she wished she could try flying on it, but there was no way she would get her hands on that broom since she didn't even play Quidditch regularly, save for the times she did with Charles when they were younger and whenever he was free nowadays.

"It's a literal masterpiece," Oliver said in awe, leaning closer to the broom to get a better look.

"I knew Potter's Nimbus 2000 already looked gorgeous from afar, but this is on another level," Jessica admitted, bending down beside him.