Nala

Arjun's POV

Knitting my brows together, I glare down at the map in front of me. Every battlefield has a point of ambush. I simply have to source out this particular ground's said spot, or else my army will be at the receiving end of a disadvantage, which could potentially prove to be fatal. After all, I know better than to treat Tristan's army like a cake walk for ours. On the contrary, his men are the deadliest competition for mine. 

Frustrated, I release a groan as I bring the side of my fist down against the tabletop. Frankly, I've been working the gears of my mind for an hour now, and as far as a plan of attack is concerned, I'm blank. For God's sake, I cannot march into a battle with my army without a trick up my sleeve. 

"Is everything alright?" Arohi speaks up from the other side of the room. Without looking up at her, I splay my hands out helplessly in front of me. Frantically, I allow my gaze to flit across the map, from one end of it to the other. 

"I...I need to minimise the fatalities," I explain. Creasing my forehead, I bend down towards the map, as if bringing myself closer to it will help in some way. "Princess, if the treaty falls through and I don't have a plan of action, then my men will lose their lives in hundreds. I...I cannot allow that to happen." Placing my elbows on the corners of the map, I allow my head to rest in my palms. 

"You never told me we're marching into battle." Arohi says, her voice coming from right beside me. At once, my head jerks in her direction. Arohi has stationed herself right beside my table, her head tilted in the direction of the map. 

"Well, the battle is not confirmed as of now," I inform her. "But I'm expecting it. I mean to say, Tristan has a history of being a difficult ruler, and I can bet my life that the terms of our treaty won't sit well with him." 

Bending over the map, Arohi places her right hand on the tabletop, leaning over it. As she does so, I'm suddenly aware of the close proximity between our bodies. Dragging my gaze down towards her fingers, I realise that if I were to budge my arm by just an inch, then her skin would be in direct contact with the sleeve of my shirt. Sucking in a sharp breath, I trace my way all the way up her arm and towards her face. Today Arohi has tied her hair in a tight bun; the kind that exudes elegance. In truth, she reminds me of a dancer, who the audience is in awe of just by the mere sight of her, before the actual performance can so much as commence.

A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips, as I watch Arohi's forehead mask itself with frown lines; her brain hard at work as it makes an attempt to solve the puzzle that's been bothering me for a while now. A disobedient strand of her hair comes undone, slipping out of the tight bun, and onto the side of her cheek. My lips part open as I feel the muscles in the pit of my stomach tighten. Frankly, I could quite easily fool myself into believing that I'm jealous of this thin strand that has the liberty to curl itself along the side of Arohi's chin. After all, it has the freedom to do what the tips of my fingers are itching to. 

"This location is ideal!" Arohi exclaims, bringing my train of thoughts to a halting stop. Frankly, I'm glad that she's done so, or else only the God above knows where I'd have wound up, courtesy of my fantasy world, of course. "The longest mine in my kingdom runs along the underside of this very mountain." Enthusiastically, Arohi jabs the pad of her index finger onto a spot on the map. Clearing my throat, I allow my line of sight to follow Arohi's. Good God, only this woman has the power to distract me from such an imperative task. Ironically, though, she's absolutely ignorant to this knowledge. 

"We can easily enter the mines through an entrance which is located at the base of this mountain." Arohi continues to explain, as she drags her finger along the path that she's already carved out in her mind. "And exit from an opening which is located along the side of the mountain. In fact, I'd say that we could do this closer to dusk, and camp out on the mountain, itself, for an entire night. The next morning, when our opposing army is advancing towards us, we will be advantaged because not only will we be awaiting their company, but our men will also be at a vantage point." 

Grinning, Arohi turns to look at me; her eyes brimming with satisfaction at having solved this puzzle in mere minutes. Good God, this woman's intelligence never fails to amaze me. Instead of thanking Arohi - as I should - all that I can do is stare at her in awe. As she claps her hands together, I watch a spark of victory ignite itself in her eyes. 

"Our archers will have the time of their lives aiming at Tristan's men." Arohi announces, quite evidently giddy with excitement at the mere thought of this sight. Who would've thought that this woman gets such a kick from the slightest mention of war? I guess the people have aptly named her, 'Warrior Princess.'

"Easy there, Nala." I say, although the mere sight of Arohi's grin has me mirroring her expression too. "Let me remind you that we're talking about a battle right now, and not a ball of some kind." As soon as the words leave my lips, I watch as they wipe the enthusiasm off Arohi's face in mere seconds. Taking a step away from the table, she pouts down at me, quite clearly disappointed at my response. "But," I add hurriedly. "I'll let you know how gruesome the entire scene was once I return." Raising my eyebrows, I watch Arohi expectantly. Mentally crossing my fingers, I search her eyes for the slightest of sign that I haven't entirely burst her excited bubble. Good God, I must learn how to rein in my tongue, and think my words through before I spew utter bullshit. 

"What do you mean you'll let me know?" Arohi questions, frowning down at me. Pursing her lips, she folds her arms in front of her chest. Good God, this is usually a telltale sign that I should gear myself up for an argument. "If and when this battle happens, I'm coming with you." Scoffing, I shake my head in disbelief at Arohi's words.

"No," I reply blatantly. "You're not." Cocking an eyebrow at me, Arohi stares at me, the fire of a challenge burning bright in her eyes. 

"Since you've got such a weak memory, Singhania," she says. "Let me just remind you that this is our army, and so I have every right to march beside you into a battle for the sake of my land." Casting my gaze back onto the map in front of me, I shake my head stubbornly. 

"There's no way in hell you're marching anywhere with that injured hand of yours." I announce, with a tone of finality. "As it is, Princess, this is my army, and not ours." For God's sake, Arohi cannot step foot onto a battlefield, not under my watch at least. 

"We'll see about that," Arohi retorts, as she turns on her heels and heads towards her side of the room. Sighing, I stare at her back. Frankly, if I know this woman even in the slightest, then I'm well aware that she's not the least bit convinced with my words. If anything, I've just strengthened Arohi's stubbornness. 

"Also," Arohi exclaims, as she turns back around to face me. Raising my eyebrows, I await for her to unleash the wrath of her words on me. "Why in the world did you call me, 'Nala?'" Placing her hands on her hips, Arohi demands an answer from me. Smiling, I cast my gaze down towards my lap. If only I had a penny for each time I pissed Arohi off - unintentionally, or intentionally - then the people of my land would never have to pay any tax. 

"Since I'm your Simba," I explain, as I shrug my shoulders. "Doesn't that by default crown you as my Nala?" 

"You know what, Singhania?" Arohi spits, narrowing her eyes at me. "You shouldn't try to work that rusted brain of yours. It doesn't fair well for you." Raising my palms towards Arohi in submission, I bow my head. 

"Whatever you say, Nala." I submit willingly, my lips dancing with a smile. 

"Don't call me that." Arohi snaps through gritted teeth, as she jabs a threatening finger in my direction. Unable to suppress my emotions any longer, I allow an ear to ear grin to break out across my face. As I do so, Arohi huffs, a permanent pout etched onto her lips. Without another word of argument, she pivots on her heels, marching straight towards the alcove.