Chapter 3: First Day of School

I wake up late of course, this only happens to me on my first day of my new school. Thank god I set out my outfit last night, so I could just throw it on and put on a minimal amount of makeup.
Ned walks into my room, an angry look on his face. "Holly, hurry up or I'm leaving without you. Geez, why do girls take so long to get ready?" I roll my eyes but follow him out.
I run into the kitchen and grab a Pop tart from the box on the counter, and grab my bag. "Ok Ned i'm ready."
"finally, Peters waiting for us." He grabs his bag and we walk out the door.
....
We meet up with Peter, who looks a little peeved. "Finally, I've been waiting here for like 10 minutes and I was about to leave."
Ned nods over to me, saying, "Sorry, Holly took forever to get ready."
"Sorry I forgot to set my alarm, only I would mess up this big on the first day." I say rolling my eyes.
Peter glances at me nervously and replies, "oh um don't worry about it, first days are always nerve wracking." Odd. This is definitely not the Peter I remember, he would've said something mean before.
"Oh thanks, at least I have some friends to make the day better."
....
We arrive at school just in time, and the first bell rings as I get to the office. I have to get my schedule, an assigned locker, and then a guide that's in my classes, who will help me settle in. I get all my information and I wait for my guide. I watch the other kids all rushing to their classes and I laugh to myself. It all seemed so normal, even though this was a school for super smart people.
After a few minutes, in walks Peter. "Oh hey, I guess I'm your guide for today, what a coincidence." He says, not fully making eye contact.
"oh yeah I guess that worked out well, that means we have classes together too! Yes, a familiar face besides Ned." We both laugh at that.
"Well the second bell is about to ring, we should probably get going." He grabs the door and holds it for me. He looks a little nervous, maybe it's his first time being a guide, or maybe it's me.
....
The day goes by so fast, and Peter shows me the ins and outs of Midtown Tech. Finally, it's lunchtime, and Ned promised me he would introduce me to more friends so Peter and I meet him at their usual table.
"And over here is our regular table, it's just me and Ned and sometimes Michelle sits with us." Peter gestures at a girl at the other end of the table.
She looks up from her book and says "hey."
"Hi, i'm Holly, I'm Ned's cousin. And your name is..."
"She finishes my sentence, "Michelle. But my friends call me MJ." Peter looks at her with a confused look on his face.
"Nobody calls you that."
She glares at Peter, and replies, "Well they would if I had any friends." She smiles, going back to her book.
"well it's nice to meet you, mj.." I trail off as she's already lost in her book.