Chapter Two: Explaining Summer

• Dedicated to Anna

"What?" Gia said, slightly confused. "I'm sorry, could you repeat that? You know, the part about being dead?"

        Lady Pennington smiled sympathetically and took Gia's hand in her own, encasing it in a puff of... poofiness. Gia was amazed by the softness of it. It was almost like a pillow, or felt. No, it was like silk. Actually, it probably was a silk glove.

        "I'm so sorry," The satin-clad chest of Lady Pennington rose and fell as she sighed. "But, unfortunately, yes. It is true. You are dead."

        "And my parents?" Gia asked, hoping, hoping that they had survived.

        "No. A double Arrival has only happened once, in the three years I have been here. You were the only one in the Meadow. There's nothing you nor I can do about it."

        "Yeah. I get it." Gia paused. "Lady Pennington?"

        The young lady smiled. "You can call me Gwen. It's a much more... modern name."

        "Okay, Gwen. Can you tell me anything else about Summer?"

        "Anything else?" Lady Pennington - sorry, Gwen - laughed. It was a twinkly, bell-like laugh, one that seemed to dance throughout the air. Once it was gone, Gia could feel it, still ringing, but then it left and she felt as if the world was incomplete somehow.

        "My dear, I have yet to give you the grand tour!" So saying, Gwen rose from her chair and squeezed her copious  skirts through the doorway once more, gesturing for Gia to follow, leaving her to hurriedly sip the remains of her tea and then abandon her cup, clattering against a fragile saucer.

● ● ● ● ●

Outside, Gia saw that it was indeed summer. Tiny wisps of white clouds dotted the sky, like random flecks from an artist's paintbrush.  Streaks of sunlight shone down on the grasses and bushes of a distant forest. Green leaves gleamed, crowning the branches of trees, and birds chirping in said trees of said distant forest.

        The house they had just exited was a sort of Victorian-style dwelling, and they were standing on a porch with a white balustrade. A pair of white wicker chairs separated by a low glass table were posed to Gia's right. To her left, she saw one of those swinging wooden benches, attached to the ceiling of the veranda.

        Lady Pennington stepped down a small set of stairs and traipsed down a wide pathway to reach a whitewashed gate, which she promptly unlatched. She then turned and waited for Gia to follow.

       Gia stood there for a moment, basking in the glory of this strange new place. It was the feeling one gets when one sees a beautiful land or city for the first time; the feeling that you'll never forget that experience, that moment, that beauty.

        Gia took a deep breath and one last glance at the landscape surrounding her, then took a few tentative steps forward down the veranda's stairs. She felt the same way as if she were about to jump off a rock fifteen feet into deep water; you know you could do it, but you don't want to leave the safety the rock offers you.

        "You ready?" Gwen asked when Gia reached her.

        Gia took another deep breath and released it, puffing out her cheeks. "I don't know. Honestly, I don't really think I'll ever be ready. But I suppose you could say I'm prepared." Gwen tilted her head in acknowledgement and gave a wry smile before pushing open the gate.

        "Let's go!" When Gia stayed still, hesitant, Gwen took hold of her wrist and pulled her through the gate. When they turned, Gia could see clearly a cobblestone avenue lined with bright flowers and blooming cherry trees led to quite a few small cottages and one or two modern-looking buildings.

         Gia took a big step forward, then another, and another, until she was going so fast that she was running. She breathed in the fresh air, almost dizzy with delight. She stood in the middle of the street and spun around until she was breathless. Then she sat down and gulped in great breaths of air.

        Gwen caught up with her, gasping. "I certainly wasn't expecting that!" Gia laughed. "It's so nice here! I love it!"

        "It is isn't it? There's so much I have to show you!" Gwen said. Gia thought of something and started unlacing her high-tops. "What are you doing?" Gwen asked Gia.

        Gia gave no answer, just took off her shoes and then her socks until she was barefoot. She grabbed her shoes and socks and scrambled up so she could run. She took off, dancing around. The smooth surface of the cobblestone beneath her feet was incredibly comforting. When all her energy was spent she sat down on a bench, exhausted.

        A cherry tree directly above the bench shaded her from the sun as Gia watched Gwen running along the road, holding her skirts high. Breathless, Gwen collapsed on the bench next to Gia, and the two girls sat in silence for a few minutes until Gia turned to Gwen and asked, "What's it like, living here?"

        Gia could almost see Gwen thinking. "Well... we don't live here, not exactly. I mean, we're dead. But none of us get injured or sick, except for the girls during..." Gwen shifted uncomfortably. "er... their..." She cleared her throat. "monthly bleeding. But otherwise no one gets sick. Or injured. Well, you can still get hurt, but it will heal immediately."

        Immediately? So I could go skydiving without a parachute and still survive? Gia thought. Cool.

        Gwen continued. "So, in theory, you could break your arm and it wouldn't hurt at all. That hasn't happened yet, though. I've only seen it happen with minor scrapes and sprains. There aren't many opportunities to get hurt, however. The beach doesn't have any sharp rocks or glass, and the only cliff here is more of a bluff. 

        "Life here is a bit strange, because we have a collection of people from all around the world, of all ages and races. Therefore everyone had a different lifestyle when they were alive. Most of the homes in Summer are cottages, villas, bungalows, cabins, farmhouses, or small manor houses. You will get to decide on a house soon, or you can chose to live with someone who already has a house.

       "There is never a shortage of things in Summer. You'll find clothes already in your closet, and you can request more a the Train Station. Food is not a problem either. Our community kitchen and dining room is housed in its own separate building. We have a fantastic chef who oversees all the preparations for each and every meal. There's also tons of things to do. Summer has its own pool, gym, theater, arts studio, and observatory. Recently, we acquired a hot air balloon. Leisure activities are something everyone can join in on.

        "Whenever we have a newcomer, we always hold a Council. Usually the Council is just eight people who have been elected into their positions by the residents of Summer, but when someone new Arrives, we hold a Council to determine what you should do."

        Gia furrowed her eyebrows, confused. "What I do?"

        "Yes. You see, each person in Summer has a job. Some cook, some do management, some build, et cetera. You will be assigned a different task each day until you have done them all, and then you will inform the Council of your decision. You only have to work ten days a month, that is all that is required. You are allowed to volunteer and work more, if you wish to."

        "Wow." Gia nodded, still processing this last bit of information. "Anything else you have to tell me?"

        Gwen smiled and shook her head. "No, all that's left is to give you the tour!"