Chapter Three

It was hours later, the sun beginning its descent, that Kagome Higurahi dragged herself out of the large building. She was one of the last people to leave and it only made her grumble, she was tired, hungry, and just over all ready for the day to be over.

Endeavor had wasted no time, conveniently disregarding that it wasn't even her first full day on the job, he had files and paperwork sent to her like the idea of giving her a chance to breath was a forgien one.

She hadn't even been able to get lunch, instead she had worked through it, sorting files and updating documents. Her eyes burned from the many hours behind a computer screen, she knew she should stop at the seven eleven on the way and grab something to eat but she was too tired. She had no doubt he expected her back at the office at the ass crack of dawn.

God, she still had to dig her hero outfit out of the moving boxes. Letting out a low groan of frustration she waited at the crosswalk her lips set in a firm frown.

Toshinori Yagi could only glare, his hands in his pocket as his shoulders stooped to hide the angry look on his face. Of course that fire bastard would work her to the bone, not even letting her catch her breath. He was in the lobby for hours, gaining the attention of those around him but they were all too put off by his appearance to even try approaching him.

He had only left the building as it closed for the night and yet that small slip of a woman was still in there. Endeavor had left hours after leading her away into what he could only assume was her office. How could the number one hero be expected to sit in an office when there was showboating to do?

He had lurked in the shadows of the building across the street, waiting for her to exit the building. It was an hour or so later that she did, dragging herself out of the doors giving a tired wave to the security guard as she began her walk home.

Alone.

Sure she was no doubt a licensed hero but it did not change the fact that she was a female, an attractive one at that, walking home alone at night in a city that was full of wanna be villains and thugs.

Anger churned in his stomach as he trailed behind her, she was so tired she didn't even notice him and was not trying his best to be subtel. Clenching his hands in his pockets he mentally cursed her boss, vowing to become an even bigger thorne in the arrogant man's side.

Kagome Higurashi was vaguely aware that she was not alone on the streets of her new town, yet she was too tired to care. Plus if push came to shove she could easily just erect a barrier between her and whomever it was, should their intentions prove to be less then pure. While she always tried to see the good in everyone she wasn't stupid, not everyone had the best intentions.

She caught up in her musings and internal monologue; she was not paying attention to her surroundings. Her body on autopilot, without even double checking she began to step off the curb, using the automated count down as her guide for whether or not it was safe to cross.

She was startled out of her thoughts by a boney yet strong hand grabbing her shoulder, tugging her away from the curb. Her back bumping into a male chest as the gust of wind from the speeding car that had blown through the red light caused her raven locks to shift in the air.

"Oh!" She could only blink as what had almost happened caught up with her, had she not been stopped she would have been smack dab in the middle of the speeding cars path! Flushing with anger at the careless fool and with embarrassment of almost stepping right into that fool's path she turned to face her savoir, his hand falling from her shoulder to dangle at his side.

Blinking in surprise at the tall lanky finger she could only give a bright smile. "We really need to stop meeting like this." Her light laughter echoed around them causing his lips to pull into a small smile, his eyes closed as he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head.

"At least you weren't turned into a pancake." He opened his eyes, his hand returning to his pocket as he gazed down at her worry written all over his face. "Why are you out so late? I myself was on my way to grab some dinner." His mask did not display the anger and sudden spike of possessiveness that surged inside of him seeing her almost get turned into a bloody pancake.

Oh he would be tracking that asshole down later but for right now he had to play his cards right. He needed to project concern and friendliness, which honestly wasn't that hard considering the genuine smile she beamed up at him, sheepish embarrassment rolling off her in waves.

A light embarrassed flush dusted the bridge of her nose as she nervously tucked a stray strand of black hair behind her ear. It was cute and only cemented the fact that she needed to be protected into his mind.

"Ah, today was my first day on the job. I was hit with an unexpected work load.I hadn't even realized it was this late until the night guard came knocking." She gave a light laugh as she fell into step beside him, both of them crossing the street with him keeping a lookout.

"Ah, well congrats on the new job.Oh I know! Let me treat you to some ramen." His smile was friendly as he beamed down at her. His mind scheming on how to get her to agree because he had no doubt the young woman was too shy and innocent to accept his offer without some finagling on his end.

Blinking, she could only shake her head as she held her hands up and waved them in front of her. "Oh no I couldn't! Besides I was the one who ran into you earlier and now you just saved my life!" He gave a low chuckle as he pulled his hand out of his pocket and placed it on the small of her back.

"I insist! Eating ramen always tastes so much better with company. Think of it as payment for saving your life?" His grin was borderline cheesy as she paused in her walking, looking down as she nibbled her lip in thought. He had to fight the urge to swoop down and rescue the abused flesh.

She really shouldn't, she was tired and had to be up early in the morning in order to dig out her hero suit before reporting to work but damn if she wasn't hungry. Add in the fact the pleasant company she was currently keeping the urge to say yes was hard pressed for her to ignore.

Toshinori could feel her choice shifting, a predatory light entering his eyes that was quickly replaced with pleading as he shifted his hand on the small of her back making her snap her gaze to his a beautiful red flush on her cheeks, god he would never get tired of making her flush...

"Please?" He was hard pressed not to smirk in triumph as she gave a low sigh but nodded, allowing him to begin walking and leading her towards the establishment he had in mind, his hand still on her lower back. He could only hope the fools wouldn't scare her away...because if they did then he really would kill them this time....