A change in heart

3Rd person POV

"Then why did you leave?" Mack challenges
"You know damn well why I left, and I bloody don't have to answer to you!" Jemma bellows.
"Why don't you make it clear for me?" Mack continues to interrogate Simmons until she cracks.
"Because Mack! When we were down in the damn pod, Fitz said he loved me and I know I want to feel that way and I do but I can't! He's doing better without me! I left because I knew if I stayed he would hold on to the idea that we could be together for the rest of our lives but I'm just not ready for that! I can't! SHIELD protocol!" Simmons confesses.
A single tear runs down her face and Mack knows he has made a mistake.
"I am so sorry simmons, I shouldn't have forced anything. I am so so sorry! Please forgive me" Mack practically begs.
"It's fine" Simmons mumbles as she wipes away her stray tear with the back of her hand.
Mack knows he has to make this right and walks over to her and offers a hug. Simmons hugs back and for a second everything seems okay.
"Mack?"
"Yes Simmons?"
"I love fitz." Simmons whispers.
Mack can't help it and lets out a chuckle "as if I don't already know!
"Oh my gosh is it that obvious?!" Simmons blushes.
"Yeah, it is. Tell me about it. I won't tell."
Simmons trust Mack, even though she doesn't always like him, she is glad to have him around.
Simmons and Mack take a seat and both take deep breaths.
"Okay well it all started off at the academy, we were both 15 and the smartest there. He was so damn smart and I imediatly took interest. He always seemed to be just at my level which was something the above average person could never do. Fitz and I hated eachother, I mean, who wouldn't want to take out there competition. He always seemed to invent something better than mine which would make me upset so I would make sothing better and the cycle would never end. One day we got paired together and I finally saw him as a person I guess. He told me some things about him and I told him stuff about me. It seemed nice to have an intelligent conversation with some who truly understood me for once." Simmons explained "after that I always wanted to be around him, not only because he was like me, but because I wanted to just hear him speak in that charming Scottish accent. I loved the way his hair would bounce when he got scared because something exploded. I just loved everything about him. I always tried to mask my feeling but they were always there. Everything was going great until he confessed his bloody feeling for me. I've dreamed about how it would be, but when he said it, it just didn't seem real. I kissed him everywhere but his lips, mostly because I couldn't let myself have him. Then he almost died and it killed me. I didn't realize how much I loved him. Without him in nothing. I love him, but I can't have him... for his own good, and it is the most painful thing known to me. " Simmons finished.
Mack thought for a while and said the second best words Simmons would ever hear. Number one being "will you marry me" and two being "go get him."

Simmons POV
"Fitz?" I call out.
"Um, uh, yes Simmons over here!" Fitz replies, "Do you need anything?"
"Fitz we need to talk" I suggests.
"Of course! Blue prints?" Fitz asks
"Um, no, not about those things, about us...." I practically whispers.
At this Fitz head perks up with what seems like excitement and curiousity.
"Go on" Fitz urges.
"Fitz," I sighs, "could I not start?"
"Sure thing okay um, we'll do you love me?" Fitz blatantly askes.
Crap, what the hell?! Did he really just ask me? I can feel my face warm up and I can't tell I am blushing so much. "I- uh- well- um" I stutter.
"I am so sorry jemma! Ignore that please!" Fitz beggs.
"No Fitz, I can't ignore that. We need to talk about this." I urge
I grab him by the hand which is not common for me to do anymore, but it feels good. I lead him to a table and we sit on it.
"Fitz, do you love me love me?" I ask
"Jemma? Are we in primary school?" Fitz laughs.
"I'm serious Fitz!"
"Yes I love you love you Jemma. I always will." Fitz snickers, "what about you, what are your feelings, I mean, um, if you want to tell me" Fitz trails off.
This is my moment how should I say it? What do I do? Oh my god!
"Fitz, you mean the world to me. If an ocean were to separate us, I would swim over to you in a heart beat."
"That doesn't answer me question" Fitz replies.
Crap I can't get out of this!!
"Fitz!" I sigh, "would it really make a difference if I told you? I mean you're already getting better. You can say full sentences And your just as smart as you were before. What does it matter."
"It just matters Jemma! It matters to me." Fitz mumbles.
"I can tell Fitz is going to get emotional and in a strange way I want him to, not because it's extremely cute, but because it shows he really does have feelings for me. But I can't do this so I say what Fitz said to me in the pod. "I couldn't find the courage to tell you, so please, let me show you." I whisper
I grab hold of Leo's collar and slowly inch him forward. I press his forehead up against mine, I know this is real now. I press my lips against his and it feels so right, this is what we are meant to be. I kiss him on his lips and on his check. I whisper in his ear something I've been dying to say ever since I saw him "I love you and that is the whole damn truth" I wrap my arms around him and softly cry into his vest. It takes him a moment to realize what just happened but he finally hugs me back, everything feels so right.

Fitz POV
" I couldn't find the courage to tell you, so please, let me show you." Jemma quotes.
I can't believe she remembered! So many questions race through me head but the most important is not yet answered. Does this means she loves me. With this she grabs my collar and pulls me in closer. This doesn't seem like a friend gesture, I can tell this means so much more. I feel he warmth around me and we kiss, not the simple kiss of a first date, a kiss that can only come after an i love you. The type of kiss you can't forget even after its long over. It was the best kiss I ever had damn it! It was the one I've waited for my whole life. She's hugging me and I realize i have just been sitting there for ever and I finally hug her back. I lightly stroke her hair. I have never been close to her like this before and I take note of her hair and how it smells like strawberries and rain. As we pull apart I kiss her on the check. "I feel the same way" i smirk.
A big smile covers Jemma's face and I can't help but notice how perfect she is.
Jemma speaks up first. "Fitz, want to be my boyfriend" she asks in her light British accent.
"There is no other girl I would rather be with." I reply
I hold her close like in the movies, you could sense the chemistry a mile away.
"We fit together like the stick ends of recombinant DNA." I joke.
Simmons is the only one who would get that joke and she giggles. "Fitz, I really do love you." Jemma responds.

A/N: so this is going to be a three part short story! Hope you enjoy! Feel free to leave comments or suggestions to further help me improve my stories. Working on a skyeward and just completed a longer Fitzsimmons one so I will publish them after this one! Enjoy!