𝑆𝑖𝑥

"Issᴀ' Bɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ,
Issᴀ' Cᴇʟᴇʙʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ."

Micah Williams
_________________
[ Summer of 2018 ]

Resting my flat iron down onto the rag that protected the sink. I observed my hair through the bathroom mirror. For Mimi's birthday I decided to be 'cute' and flat iron my hair for once, however things just aren't going in my favor at the moment.

"Mom!"

My eyes clench shut as I shouted out for my mom. I tried doing my hair by myself but I've been working with my hair forever, and need some help right now before I fry all of my hair off from trying to make it perfect. It's like some pieces refuse to lay though.

"Mom!"

Since their was no response I called out for her once more. My little sister isn't home so I can't ask her for any help, so she has no choice but to help me right now.

From outside my room I could hear distant footsteps from the hallway that soon led to my room door creaking open. "What're you calling me for?" She questions.

I peak out from my bathroom and met her gaze. "I need help with my hair, it's not cooperating." My bottom lip puckered out as I released a long breathed huff.

"It looks good, it's gotten longer since the last time you flat ironed it." She said, making her way over to me. Her fingers groomed through my straight inches while I met her gaze through the mirror. "What's wrong with it? I feel like you did a good job?" Her brows knitted together.

My eyes went hooded, and shortly after I smacked my teeth together. "Ma, do you not see this," I pointed towards the center part where baby hairs and such, flew freely. "And this part!" I circled around my whole head because almost everywhere theres pieces out of place.

Her hand rested on her hip. "It looks fine!" She said to her own defense. "Look, you said the party was going to be outside too right? Regardless how much you flat iron your hair you're going to have a few frizzy pieces."

For a second I went without replying becuase I'm really debating on getting back in the shower, wetting my hair, and putting it into a bun.

"Knowing you, you will probably play basketball too, Micah. It is fine how it is don't stress on it so much." Mom added in, breaking the silence that had filled the room for a split second.

"I'm just going to re- wet it and put it into a bun." I came to conclusion, in the process of undoing the flat iron's plug from the wall socket.

"Nina, why? You are going to end up late for the party." She leaned her weight onto the wall, displease dripping from her tone. "You know they live a good hour away, your hair looks fine. Why are you so worried about how you look?"

"Because.. Everyone's going to be there. I'm going to Mimi's party mom, she's like really good- Minds well say she's the female version of her dad, then Me' Arah, Shareef, and I heard Josh Christopher was going to be their too.." I emphasize while raising my brows.