17. A Countdown to the Inevitable

Start from the beginning

"No!" Yamaguchi screamed as Nagisa let go of the bottle, leaning over the edge to try and grab at the falling pills. But it was too late. A sob left the freckled teen, and Hinata felt a lump rise in his own throat.

"Oops." Nagisa shrugged. With a cry of horror, Yamaguchi lunged towards the man, pushing him against the edge with more rage than Hinata had ever seen in the quiet boy.

"You, you, you piece of shit!" Yamaguchi hissed, shoving Nagisa towards the edge. The slam of the roof's door made Hinata look over.

There stood Nagisa's right hand man, Hinata's father. Behind him were three more people, all with guns.

"Hey, get away from our leader!" A woman yelled, but Yamaguchi ignored her.

"Yamaguchi, it's okay. We can just go down and around the building to get the pills." Hinata tried to soothe the raging boy, and it appeared to work as Yamaguchi's grip loosened.

"You think you can get the pills? Look down, Hinata." Nagisa smirked, pleased with himself. Hinata walked towards the edge, looking down where the bottle had fallen.

Horror filled his senses as he stared at dozens of reds, all enclosed in a fence. And sure enough, although it was a tiny blotch, he spotted the plastic bottle lying helplessly on the concrete floor.

"Still think you can get the bottle?" Nagisa taunted, and Yamaguchi cried out with anger as tears fell down the boys face. Hinata's mouth was parted, eyes wide and his body shaking with the cold air and the shock of it all.

"Why would you do this?!" Yamaguchi yelled, wiping furiously at the tears on his face.

"For fun." Nagisa shrugged. Hinata shoved the sinister man, grabbing Yamaguchi's wrist as he tugged him towards the door of the roof, pushing past his father and running down the stairs.

"Hinata, ow, seriously what are you doing?!" Yamaguchi yelped in pain as he dragged him along.

"Getting the others, and Natsu, and getting out of here. We can't stay here, not with that creep." Hinata muttered, his heart stinging as he thought of Natsu. Now what could they do? She was going to die. Not just that, but Yamaguchi as well if they didn't find a solution for this mess.

"Hey, Hinata, where are you-" Hinata cut Sugawara off as he rushed past, letting go of Yamaguchi.

"We need to leave this place, Sugawara. We need to pack our stuff now." Hinata instructed, grabbing his pillowcase and shoving some food and water, a knife, and his empty gun inside. He filled the rest up with clothing.

"What's going on, Yamaguchi? Why are... Why are you crying?" Suga asked with worry creasing on his face.

"I'm gonna die." Yamaguchi sobbed, clutching onto the fabric above his heart. "My pills are gone."

"We'll explain later, we have to go!" Hinata exclaimed, throwing the now full pillow case over his shoulder.

"Wait... We wanna come too." Kiyoko walked up beside Sugawara. "Ennoshita, Takeda, and I." Her glasses were cracked and dirty, splashed with blood. Hinata nodded wordlessly, not sure what else to say. The group, with the three additions, began to pack their few belongings. Hinata grabbed another gun, tucking it into his waistband just to be sure.

His shoes squeaked against the floor as he walked towards Natsu's weak form, shaking her awake.

"Hey, Natsu, we gotta go. We gotta leave." Hinata whispered to her, and the small girl got to her feet slowly, her eyes glazed over and her skin white as a sheet and drenched in powdery sweat.