“I have always liked you,” she told me. I felt uncomfortable with her proximity to me. This was going nowhere good and fast. “After you were with that vampire bitch you probably were deeply affected by it. But I think I can break through your walls. You just have to let me.” Is she serious?

“Liz,” I started but was once again cut off.

She grabbed my left hand and held it tightly. I wanted to rip my hand out of hers. I couldn’t help but remember how our friendship used to be before her infatuation with me had complicated things. Her face was close to mine and her gaze was fixated on my lips.

“I don’t think we should go further though,” she sighed. I raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything, it was highly doubtful that she would let me finish saying anything.

She was giving off mixed signals, I thought. I would be amused with this situation if it wasn’t happening to me. She said she didn’t want to go further into a relationship with me but yet the way she was looking at me said otherwise. It was also news to me that it was implied we were in a relationship because I had mistakenly kissed her.

I should have just told her that we would talk tomorrow. And then postpone it as much as I could. I really didn’t like this conversation. Didn’t she notice I wasn’t interested in her? from the way I’m feeling I would think that it would be obvious to anyone, anyone except Liz apparently because she was oblivious.

Liz lowered her gaze, avoiding my eyes. “I think you’re still hooked up on Alexandria, and I don’t want to be a rebound. I’ll be around when you get over her, I’ll wait for you.” She looked down at her lap not wanting to see my reaction but I was completely okay with not getting into a relationship with her now, but that didn’t mean I wanted her to wait for me when I was confident I didn’t like her like that.

“Well isn’t this nice.” I jumped and my head spun to look at the doorway. I hadn’t even noticed that the door opened, clearly Liz hadn’t either. Great hunters we were at that moment. Alexandria was leaning against the doorway. “I probably should have knocked. I think I’m intruding on a very private moment,” her voice was dripping with sarcasm.

“What are you doing here?” I asked her. “I thought you were leaving, never talking to me again, basically doing a vanishing act, like you never existed.” Not my best moment but the feelings that bubbled up at the sight of her had taken over.

“Yeah, well plans change,” she answered. I blinked in confusion. That was not what I was expecting her to say. There was something wrong with her if she hadn’t given me some well thought out, annoying response, and the kind that was specially designed to get under someone’s skin.

I took a better look at her and noted that she looked a bit dishevelled, not the perfect appearance I was used to her having. Her hair wasn’t perfect, her skin was shades paler than normal and her posture was slumped. There were dark circles under her red-rimmed eyes and a slight tremor to her hands. If I didn’t know better I would say she was sick, but vampires didn’t get sick.

“Well, change your plans and go away,” Liz sneered. “You made your choice, you left Damien, and you can’t come back, apologize and expect everything to revert to how it was before.” I didn’t say anything to contradict Liz but I still like Alexandria. I couldn’t get over her this quickly.

“Oh give it a break. You always come across as so desperate, that’s why no one likes you,” Alexandria muttered. “For your information, I’m not here to talk to Damien and beg him to take me back,” she rolled her eyes, as if disgusted with that image.

“Then why are you here?” I snapped. She never explained anything fully.

“I heard the good news,” she replied faking confusion. “It’s so wonderful that Erik is awake. However did that happen?” I suddenly caught on to what she was getting at. Liz still did not comprehend.