Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Unable to sleep I got out of bed rather then get more frustrated. My insomnia was probably due to what I found had just out about Alexandria. Which really wasn’t anything but the fact that she was keeping a secret from me annoyed me to no ends.

I got changed quickly into some dark jeans and a black t-shirt. I grabbed my set of keys, making the decision that I had to get out of this house. I didn’t know where I was going to go but I needed fresh air.

I stood by my door and listened for something that told me there was someone outside. I was about to open the door and go out into the hallway when I heard laughter and footsteps. I didn’t know who they belonged to but it didn’t matter, all it meant was that I need to find another way to escape. I cursed quietly at having to think of another plan.

My gaze fell on the balcony and in moments I had pushed the doors open and stepped onto the balcony. I put on leg over the railing, then the other and then let go. There was a brief moment of falling then I fell into a crouch. I got up and without a look back I ran. I didn’t know if anyone had seen me jump of the balcony but I wasn’t going to stick around and find out.

I pushed myself to a faster pace enjoying the exercise. I didn’t think about the people I had left behind or anyone else for that matter. This was just what I needed, time and fresh air, to clear my head.

To the casual onlooker I looked just like a jogger, that wasn’t properly dressed. I doubted many joggers wore jeans while on a jog close to midnight. My path was illuminated only by streetlights and the moon. My surroundings might as well not have been there for all the attention I was paying it.

As I kept running the working streetlights decreased in numbers and the streetlights I came across that did work were flickering. I slowed down as the buildings around me registered in my mind. I frowned as I saw this part of the city was familiar. The abandoned street and closed down buildings were from where I had seen Alexandria while spying on her with the mirror.

How did I get here? I didn’t even know where I was but it couldn’t be coincidence that I had just found myself here. As I walked down the street I discovered I had forgotten to bring a weapon. My mind must have been really elsewhere for me to forget to bring anything to protect myself with.

I should have turned back then, but I didn’t. Alexandria’s secrets were affecting me in a bad way, making me abandon caution and reason. As I neared where I remembered Alexandria’s meeting with Gabriel occurred my uneasiness grew. Something didn’t feel right.

Maybe I should turn back…

I stepped into the same spot Alexandria had stood but nothing happened. Feeling foolish I looked into the alley near where I was standing. For a moment nothing changed, and then from amongst the shadows a pair of silver eyes shone at me. Then I was slammed into the nearest wall.

“Well, well, well. What are you doing here?” Gabriel asked in a tone that suggested he couldn’t care less why I was here. He smirked at me. “Does Alexandria know you’re here? How did you stumble across this place? I wouldn’t have thought you would just show up here alone.”

“She doesn’t need to know my whereabouts every moment of the day,” I snapped, irritation clear in my voice. Gabriel raised an eyebrow picking up on it.

“I don’t know; it certainly would benefit you. You could be in danger,” Gabriel asked sounding bored. The last sentence bugged me, I was sure he was making a reference to whatever Alexandria was keeping from me. Either that or he was threatening me.

“I can take care of myself,” I said. “I actually wanted to talk to you.”

“About what?” he asked sounding curious despite himself.