3. And Where's the Purpose of Symbolism?

Prompt: Just your standard coffeeshop AU, upgraded with book debates and theatre visits.

"Miss? Miss! You dropped your book!"

Draco Malfoy was stuck behind the counter at the coffeeshop he reluctantly worked at, but it wasn't going to obstruct him in this act of assistance.

"She can't hear you man, she's just gone out the door."

"Take the orders for me, huh Greg?"

His workmate nodded and started handling the queue as Draco slipped around the side of the till and headed to the door, grabbing the paperback as he went.

Surprisingly, the woman who'd dropped it was already racing down the pavement ahead of him, clearly determined to reach her destination on time. Draco picked up his pace and ran, coming to a halt just behind her and reaching for her arm.

"Miss? You--"

She swung at him. Immediately. Fortunately Draco was used to dealing with unpleasant customers and so did what he did best: he got out of the way as fast as he could. He was lucky this time though, as the woman looked just as surprised as he did, and then twice as guilty.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" she gabbled. "I wasn't expected you, and when a random man starts shouting at you and then grabs you, it's easier to just fight back from the offset, it wasn't anything personal, I feel so bad though--"

"It's really okay, don't worry," Draco said easily, eager to get back to his job. The wages were satisfactory, but only if he worked the full shift. "You dropped your book as you were leaving and I thought I'd be able to catch up to you easily. You're quite fast though."

"Sorry for being inconvenient then," she laughed, gratefully accepting the book, "But thank you so much for running after me! I'm on my way to a tutorial and it would've been so awkward if I'd arrived sans the book."

"Glad to have been of assistance then," Draco smiled. "Have a nice day!"

"No, wait, I want to repay you somehow!" the woman said, fumbling for the zip of her overstuffed handbag. "I can't remember how much I tipped for my coffee - did I even tip you?"

"No you didn't, but that's because my coworker took your order. You're all good." He smiled and tried to walk away.

"Don't be silly, let me be generous!" she insisted, following him back up the road now with both hands buried in her bag. "You really helped me out, and you've been really nice about me then accidentally trying to attack you--"

"Really, it's okay!" He was laughing now. "How about you promise to give the coffeeshop some more business later this week and we'll call it quits? You must be running late for class anyway."

"Is that okay?" She seemed quite put out in being unable to compensate him immediately, but it was obvious she wanted to get going. "I promise I'll buy something expensive and I'll tip you well!"

"Just go, it's seriously okay!" Draco couldn't help laughing warmly at this flustered and determinedly generous woman. "I'll see you some time, then?"

"Thank you! And you will!" The woman started half-jogging away from him, throwing a wave over her shoulder towards him as she reached a corner and then disappeared from sight.

With a small sigh, Draco went back to the coffeeshop. Greg had clearly not appreciated being landed with the job of taking orders for the second hour in a row.

"What the hell, man? You were gone so long."

"She was in a hurry," Draco said, resuming his position and taking the notepad of orders from his disgruntled colleague. "But I got the book back to her and she was really happy about it, so I feel good anyway."