Chapter three-Resource Gathering

"...and you'll need this math book-wait, that's the old edition. Here." Murakami-sensei handed me the last of an impressive stack of books. I had stayed after school to collect the texts that I would be reading to Fuuko. Maybe if I could split the time between reading at her bedside and sharing the books with her spirit...

I looked at the impressive stack of books. "Will she need to know everything in all of these? I mean, I remember only needing to read certain chapters in the history book."

"Oh! That's right," the old sensei replied, and reached into a cubby for several sheets of paper. "These list all of the assignments for first term; reading as well as any homework. While I encourage the student to read everything..." he smiled wryly, "I understand that may not be an option for you, given the circumstances."

I bowed the best I could, given my load. "Thank you, sensei."

Murakami-sensei returned my bow. "You are a good man, L/n-san, for taking this upon yourself. Giving of oneself, sacrificing, is a noble thing."

His praise surprised me, so I didn't know what to say. I mumbled some kind of thanks before leaving for Furukawa's Bakery with my truckload of books.

"Hellloooooo!" WHUMP!

Sanae, who had apparently been doing something behind the counter, suddenly popped up with a 'squeak'. "Oh! L/n-san! Welcome back!"

Seeing her eyeing my pack and sure that she wouldn't remember Fuuko, I explained. "I'll be visiting a friend in the hospital during the day for most of the summer. She was in an accident about two years ago, and has been in coma ever since."

"'She'?" Akio suddenly appeared out of nowhere, wielding his trademark baseball bat. "You had better not be two-timing on my daughter, punk! Like I'd ever let you date her!" The way he could whip out those contradictory statements was impressive. "What's this girl's name?"

"Fuuko," I answered, my hopes rising. Maybe I could get one or both of Nagisa's parents to remember; she had stayed with them, after all, so maybe... "She carved starfish out of wood and gave them to everybody and asked them to attend her sister's wedding."

"Fuuko, eh...Fuuko..." Akio shook his head before wagging a finger at me. "I don't remember that name, but this burning in my soul tells me that you are not lying!" He struck a dramatic pose, with chest proudly thrust forward, fist clenched in front, and his bat slung over his shoulder.

Sanae swooned appropriately, if only for a moment. "My soul is the same, dear Akio-san! Perhaps we should carve Dangos out of wood and give them to people to invite them to Nagisa-chan's wedding!"

Akio nodded contentedly, then leaned toward me. "Or we could carve them out of Sanae-san's bread. It's just as hard, don't you think?"

"Pops," I said, hand on my forehead, "She's still here you know..."

Akio's face paled. "Crap! And I even heard her talking just now!" He turned slowly to...

"My bread is...My bread is..." Sanae ran from the bakery, crying, hands over her face.

Akio immediately grabbed several of Sanae's creations and stuffed them in his mouth. "Ffanae! I UFF OOOOO!" he cried, running after her.

I sighed, picked up my pack, and turned to leave.

"Ah, L/n-san."

I turned back to the bakery. "Hey, Furukawa."

Nagisa stood in the doorway between the bakery and the Furukawa home. "I didn't know that you were here." Her brow furrowed. "Where are my parents?"

"Out for their daily run."

"Eh?"

"Pops insulted Sanae-san's bread right in front of her, and..."

Nagisa nodded understanding. "Well, I guess I'm responsible for the store for now." She smiled. "Would you be willing to help me?"

The phrase 'help me' always seemed to trigger my automatic response. "Sure. But just 'til your parents get back." I gestured to my pack on the floor. "I've got some work to do to get ready for more work."

Nagisa walked over and tried to pick up my pack. "Oof! That is heavy! What do you have in there?!...if you don't mind me asking."

"First-year textbooks," I replied. I then repeated to her what I had told her mom earlier. "So my summer's going to be kinda crazy. At least this'll keep me away from my old man."

"I see." She seemed to be pondering something.

Finally, she offered: "I know I've asked before but would you like to try living here? Mom and Dad still think really highly of you."

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to be visiting the hospital pretty much all summer, so I won't be able to repay your parents."

"I don't think that'll be a problem," Nagisa countered. "If you're doing something good for somebody, Mom and Dad would love to help you out."

"But-"

"How about this: You think about it, and I'll talk to them and see what they say. Would that be okay?" Nagisa nearly had a pleading expression at this point.

I sighed and dropped my head. "Fine. If it'll make you happy, go ahead."

"I don't mean to be pushy."

"It's fine. I just don't like being a freeloader."

With a warm smile, Nagisa invited me back into the bakery for support and conversation.