CHAPTER 1: First Day on the Job

3RD PERSON POINT OF VIEW

The morning was partly cloudy, making way for rain later that night. There were birds flying overhead, and besides the sound of passing cars, the only thing that filled your ears was the blaring music from your stereo. It was cold, and the only thing shielding you from the freezing wind was the windows of your car and the hot air blowing through the vents. You were driving to your new job, a nearby zoo that just so happened to be hiring employees on the spot. It was a surprise, but as long as they paid well and there were no creeps giving you a hard time, you were happy to tend to whatever they needed. You always loved animals, so this was almost like your dream job.

See, you just moved from your hometown to Manitoba, Canada and it was a huge step out of your comfort zone, but you needed to get away. Start your own life in a new town where nobody knew your name. And having always dreamt of living in Canada, you decided it would be perfect for you. A place where little to nothing bad happens, where you felt safe and sound. A place where nobody knew your name or your past - not that you have done anything wrong, but it was still a refresher to come to a new place full of new faces to see.

But little did you know you came at the worst possible time, where just a year prior a horrific event had taken place.

Pulling into the driveway of your new job, you spotted two individuals getting out of their car at the same time as you parked. A short man with short brunette hair, and a slightly taller woman with long ebony hair. They were both dressed warm, such as you, when you unbuckled your seat and unlocked your door to get out, shutting it behind you. The wind now hitting you in the face and causing a shiver to run up your spine. Starting to walk up to the building, you noticed the woman was holding something wrapped in a newspaper, and she seemed solemn just like the man she was with. You thought nothing of it as you walked a little ways behind them, paying no mind to them as they didn't go through the door - but around to the docks. What they did was none of your business.

You opened up the door and stepped inside, the warmth wafting through your body almost instantly. You closed the entrance right behind you and crossed your arms over your chest, your shoes clicking against the tile floor as you walked up to the front desk. Nobody was there. "Hello?" You looked past the table and to the backroom, seeing a worker look through the door. She looked to be about her mid-forties with blonde hair pulled into a tight bun, indigo blue overalls dawning her slim figure. When you made eye contact with her, you awkwardly waved, and she made their way out and back to the desk. "What can I do for you?" She asked with a heavy Canadian accent, taking a seat on the rolling chair and pushing herself up to rest her arms on the table. Eyes fixated on you with a look of boredom. "I am, uh, looking for the boss? I'm the new employee." You coughed into your fist, making her raise a brow. "You're the new employee?" You nodded at her question, and she pointed to the chair behind you, signaling for you to sit.

Once you were seated, the worker opened a drawer from behind the desk and pulled out a folder. Opening it up to look through. "And you are..?" She glanced up and you were quick to sit up, "(Y/N) (L/N)." You stated, and she put the folder down in front of you. Taking a pen out of her pocket and setting it to the side. "The boss is working with one of the animals outside, so he will be back shortly. For now, fill these out for the record, won't you?" You nodded and scooted up to the desk, opening up the file of documents. You took and clicked the pen and went to work on signing documents and other necessary items.

While you were filling out everything needed, you and the worker - who introduced herself as Carole - made idle conversation about what it's like working in the zoo and what not to do. Once you signed your name at the bottom of the last document, you closed the file and sat it down on the table along with the pen, and they slid it over to herself. "And just so you know - you can quit anytime." She said, scribbling your name on the folder and putting it back inside the drawer. You thought that was an odd thing to say but shook it off as being mindful. "So where is-" The backdoor of the building swung open, cutting you off as you looked up to see a rather chubby man waltz in. He was wearing dirty overalls that looked the same as Carole's, and had grey streaks in his balding brown hair, which was slicked back to reveal dripping sweat. "That's him." Carole said, and stood up to go back into the break room.