Missing Something-Short story Part two

They look up at me in shock. Sunshine is the first one to react and pulls me up into a huge hug. "Ah, Sunny you are squashing me!!!!" I say trying to get her to let go (yup she is a hugger.)

"Umm. Sunshine if you squish Bree we it won't help much." Ashley says in a serious tone. But as sunshine lets go I see a grin on her face. I stick my tongue out and the five minute bell rings.

"I need to get to class. Tell Katia all about this and we can talk at lunch. Ok? They nod and I run off towards class.

The classes go by quick and I soon find myself sitting down to lunch with Katia, Ashley, and Sunshine. It hasn't always been the three of us though. Occasionally we get a new kid or one of our other friends to sit with us. However today it is just us.

"I have an idea" Ashley says pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm?" I say looking at her. The three of them roll their eyes and Ashley continues.

"Now that we have Bree back from where ever she just went I would like to tell you all my idea" she grunts as Sunshine elbows her in the side. She quickly corrects herself "excuse me sunshine's and my idea."

"What is it?" I ask still not really paying attention. Ashley's ideas tended to get us into trouble. And I have a few scars, police records, and other unmentionable things from some of Ashley's amazing ideas. "Please tell me you do not want to see what happens when you try to jump out of a moving car again?" she has always tried to do that one. It has never worked but she still does it and somehow talks us into doing it with her.

Katia and sunshine laugh while Ashley rolls her eyes at me "no." she answers glaring at me before continuing. "I figured we could get help from the business around here. Ask for donations and what not. See if anyone can help us out." I nod in agreement as do the others. The bell rings and we all walk to class together. I was so excited that the rest of the day I could hardly pay attention to what was going on.

 After school I went to my job at the diner. I loved this place. Everything was styled like it was the 50's and the woman who own the place where ex-hippies looking for a way to make money. As weird as this place may be it was a hit with the locals. Everyone ate here at least once a week. It had a relaxing and cheerful vibe that just drew me to it the first time I saw it and ever since then I have worked here.

I walk in and the first thing I see by the cash register (except the cashier Geb) is a picture of me and the other kids in front of the orphanage and a flyer that says 'Walidah orphanage in trouble. Help out the kids in need. We need to reach $705,000. DONATE NOW!!!'

"What do you think?" I hear Katia ask from behind me. I turn around with tears in my eyes about to cry.

"I think that I have the best three best friends a girl could wish for." I say trying my hardest not to cry.

"Group hug!" Katia yells pulling us together. I growl in her ear but she ignores me and continues to hug the life out of me. The next two weeks went by with the same routine. Go to school, go to work. At the end of the week we would collect the money from the donation boxes around town and count it up. At the end of week one, we had $500 but in week two we only made $200 and it kept going downhill. But then somehow our story was put on the local news which plays in our county and the surrounding ones. We soon began to get money in the mail. The checks were small donations of $25-$50, however, we would get the occasional check that four or five hundred dollars.

At the end of two months we had $10,000 not enough but still something. Then one day everything changed when I came home to find a check in the mail from a billionaire one town over. Everyone knew him his name was everywhere even without opening it I knew that It would be a large sum. I just never guessed how much.

"AH! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! AH!" I yell while jumping up and down. Ms. Tanner runs in.

"What dear? what's wrong? Are you ok? What's in your hand?" she asks so fast that it all sounded connected like it was one word.

"Nothing..." I say trailing off trying to catch my breath. I hold up my hand to tell her one second. "Nothing is wrong, I am fine, and in my hand I am holding a check."

-----------

song:

Last call by Lee Ann Womack

picture of Katia

dedicated to YoungGrasshopper since she enjoys this story of mine the most. You are ok for a person who likes DP better then RB