———————————————————————————

Stepping into the party was like entering another dimension, but not something cool, beautiful, or even remotely enjoyable like movies and books lead you to believe. I knew this dimension was totally out of my element, so I immediately retreated to the wall by the door. I had to laugh at my friends as they stumbled over themselves, grabbing drinks on the way to dance with our peers. They had pre-gamed way too hard prior to their dramatic party entrance, and I wasn't sure how much more all of them could take.

I surveyed the landscape in front of me like a researcher in a lab instead of a college student at a party. There were only about 25 of us in attendance, but the small space made it feel like there were a hundred people present. Alcohol was found on every surface possible, both in containers and spilled by drunk party-goers. I shook my head and leaned back against the wall as everyone sang along to a song I didn't know. How do people enjoy this kind of thing?

A voice in my ear pulled me out of my examination. "Not your thing either, huh?"

I looked to my left and found Sirius, looking breathtaking as he leaned against the wall next to me. His typical graphic band tee and tight jeans were accented tonight by a blue flannel, making his eyes pop even more than usual. His long black hair kept catching the flashing lights, giving him an additional glow. In his hands were two bottles of water, one of which was extended out to me.

I quickly grabbed the water and thanked him. "Yeah, can't say that I'm meant for the party scene," I yelled over the music, getting closer to him so he could hear me. "But I have to drive my favorite idiots home tonight." I motioned to the middle of the room where James, Lily, and Peter were attempting to dance and take shots with a few other people at the same time. Sirius stifled a laugh as Peter spilled his all over herself.

He leaned in and said, "Come on, let's go outside. We can hang out out there until these guys are done doing...whatever that is." He pointed back at the dancers who were drunkenly fighting over who got to go first for limbo. Where they got the stick for limbo and who got it in their head that it would be a good idea to play, I'll never know. I happily nodded and made my way outside with Sirius, breathing in the fresh May air to replace the sweaty alcoholic acid that I had been breathing in inside.

"Better?" He asked, smiling at me as we made our way to the line of cars.

I blushed, just like I did every time he smiled at me. "Y-yeah, thanks."

He led me over to his car as I tried to make my face go back to a normal color. He hopped on the hood, leaning back against the windshield. I stood next to him, uncertain if he really wanted my sitting on his car. He grinned and scooted over, patting the space next to him. As gracefully as I could manage - which wasn't very, if we're all being honest - I clambered up and took my seat. The noise of the party faded away as we sat in comfortable silence, gazing at the constellations above us.

"Why did you want to become a writer?"

"What?" I asked, looking at him in surprise. We had never gone very deep with our conversations, just some casual talks about our classes, so I was surprised that he would suddenly ask me about this.

"You know, why do you want to be a writer," he repeated, putting his arm behind his head as he continued to stargaze. "What drew you to it?"

I looked back up at the sky. "There were a lot of reasons, I guess. The main one was that I really think that a book can change a kid's life. I was affected, both positively and negatively, by what I read when I was little; we all were. If I can take one of the stories bouncing around in my head, put it on paper, and get it to an audience who's affected by it, that's the best thing I could ask for. Even if it's just one person who thinks it's important. If I can save a life with a story, what job would possibly be better than that?" He was quiet after I prattled out the explanation that I had only recently tried to work out myself. "Does that make any sense?"