Part Two

Ash walked briskly up the mountains and he only had one thought on his mind, and sadly, that thought was revenge. Some take different roads, their paths diverge and each of those roads hold consequences…and some are more dire than others. The sun had just started to hang low in the sky and Ash knew that this meant his brother’s killer would soon be out and about. It knew his scent, his face, and it would be coming for him.

He smiled to himself as he ran a hand on the side of the mountain; as he looked up he knew that he’d have to get in touch with the power inside of him before continuing, the side of the mountain went straight up and there was no chance of him simply walking up the side of it. But, he also knew that he needed to find this beast in the daylight, when it would be weak.

Closing his eyes, he thought about his brother, and that is was started the gentle hum within his body illuminating his skin with a brilliant shine and when he opened his eyes it was as if his body was not his own. He raced up the mountain effortlessly as the air got colder and colder the higher he went, but it never bothered him, it would never bother him. Sometimes he wished that this would go away, he never wanted to be special, but it was how he was born and in that moment he was glad.

It didn’t take him long to reach the top of the mountain but the sun had almost retreated entirely; he knew that there was not much time. He looked down at the forest that was peaceful below and wondered what Cailean would think of the view. He heard a voice.

“Hello,” a soft, melodic voice came from behind him and when he turned with his sword ready, he was shocked, for there was no beast before his eyes, but a girl with eyes the color of a raging river and hair the color of newly fallen snow. She smiled. “I take it you’ve come for the head of the beast.”

He nodded, dumbstruck. “Tis not safe here. Have you not heard?”

There was something odd with the girl, for the sun had gone and suddenly she held her stomach. “Please, leave…it’s not safe for you. Leave.”

“Are you alright?” Ash asked as he let his sword drop to the floor before he raced to the girl’s side. She collapsed in his arms and her eyes were alight with the color white. Ash’s mind replayed his brother’s death and saw the same eyes retreating into the night sky. “No.”

“I’m…sorry,” the girl said as a tear ran down her cheeks before her hair turned a tawny brown and black marks climbed up her face.  “Leave before I hurt you.” There was a scream, and then wings erupted from the girls back. Ash turned as fast as he could before the creature rose. The sword was in his grasp as a screech shook the mountains.

Small horns appeared on the girl’s forehead and Ash wished he could simply run the sword through the creature’s chest but he couldn’t, not now, not when he knew there was someone innocent hiding within. He thought for a moment, but in that moment, the creature struck him with its wings and he went soaring off the side of the mountain. As he fell rain poured down soaking the two of them entirely. Ash closed his eyes once again willing himself to survive, for his body to pull through and as if on cue his muscles moved on their own, he flipped in the air just before his body hit the ground. He grunted as pain ran through his body. But, he could stand, and all of his body parts were still intact.

There was another screech and the sound of wings in the distance but he did not run. He looked up at the dark sky and saw a flash of white; he smiled.  There was a newfound courage in his body, something in his soul telling him not to flee like the coward he was. He dropped the sword and waited until the beast was in front of him, staring into his eyes. It cocked its head as it saw the sword on the grass beside them. “Stop this. There is no need for violence,” Ash said as he looked into the creature’s eyes. It screamed. “I am not here to hurt you. Let the girl go. You are no longer allowed to take her. Leave.”

Another scream. Its head turned from one side to another violently and Ash knew that he was doing what was right, even if he simply wanted to kill the beast and avenge his brother. “Rest. Let go of your past,” he said quietly but the beast came forward. Ash let his marks stretch across his skin and lightning crackled in his hands. “I do not wish to hurt you, but I shall. Lay down your arms and release the girl.” But the beast did not stop.

There was a loud clap and then the sound of lightning crackling through the air. Ash saw the beast crumple to the ground and the screams were horrifying, it was dying. “Dammit,” he said as he watched the creature’s hair turn back to the color of white and within moments where there had been a beast, there was a girl. Electricity could still be seen running under her pale skin as Ash gripped her in his arms.

“Thank you,” she whispered, but he shook his head as a tear formed in his eyes. “Do not cry for me,” she said smiling, “shed no tear. I’ve no fear of death, I’ve finally been released.”

“I could have saved you…”

“And now you must save yourself,” the girl’s crystalline eyes closed for the last time as she breathed her last breath. Ash stood and looked to the sword. He imagined what it would be like to go home.  I’d never be forgotten, he thought as he looked at the sword. He thought of the feasts and the pride, every girl in the town would be falling at his knees. And that’s when he realized that was never his dream; it had been Cailean’s. 

Picking up the girl’s limp body he looked up at the mountain and started towards it. From that day forward no one dared to approach the lonely mountain for there was a boy atop the mountains with his lightning bolts and his rage, and people feared him, feared his wrath. In the end, Ash got what he wanted, he was never forgotten…he would always be remembered as the boy atop the mountain…He was, and shall always remain, The Mountain Prince.

Hey guys,

Don't mind any mistakes, I'll go back and edit soon, just wanted to have this up. Hope Y'all like this, and vote and comment. I'll be posting another short story ASAP. Love you all.