Chapter 21: Kuroo's birthday

Start from the beginning

Silence.

Sighing, the female captain took Kuroo's hand in hers, "I'm here for you, you know that right?"

More silence followed, Kuroo didn't even react.

"Please let me be there for you," Taiji muttered, "As you did for me."

Slowly, Kuroo brought his hands up and wrapped them around Taiji waist, letting out a breath he wasn't aware he was holding.

"I'm sorry," Kuroo whispered, "I ruined everything."

"No, you didn't," Taiji hugged him tight, "Don't say anything like that,"

"But you spent all that time planning something for me, and I just decided to sit here and waste everyone's time."

Taiji sighed, "I planned it for you, today is your day! It has nothing to do with me."

Grabbing a wrapped box from her bag, Taiji gently put the gift into his hands, "I was going to give this to you later, but I think you should open it now."

Unwrapping the gift, Kuroo found himself looking at a framed picture of the two of them cuddled together back on the night he stayed with her.

"I thought you'd like a reminder," Taiji smiled, pushing the hair away from his face, "I'll always be here for you."

Kuroo thanked the female captain quietly, as he pulled her back into the hug.

After a moment or two, Taiji pulled Kuroo onto his feet. A mischievous glint faintly glowing in her eyes.

Walking out the door, Taiji could see the relieved look on Kuroo's grandmother's face.

Grandma Kuroo gave Taiji a wink, thanking her for helping their grandson.

"C'mon," Taiji smiled, "Let's go for a walk!"

Dragging the tall bedhead, Taiji winked back at his grandma, letting her know that it was going to be okay.

~~~

"Taiji," Kuroo piped up, "What are we doing at school?"

The female captain just smiled the mischievous glint in her eye a little bit brighter.

"You'll see."

Pulling him along, Taiji stopped right in front of the gym.

"Do you remember what happened here?" Taiji turned her head, "This was the gym we were in when you confessed to me."

Kuroo laughed, "The same gym that you spiked a ball to my face, remember?"

"Details, details," Taiji waved her hand in the air.

"So what are we doing here?" Kuroo asked again.

With a grin, Taiji opened the door, revealing the decorated gym with everyone inside.

"Oh, bitch you're finally here!" Bokuto screamed, "Happy birthday bro!"

Kuroo laughed, "Did you plan this all?"

"It was supposed to be at a cafe on the other side of town, but I wanted you to feel at home, so I asked Kenma to get everyone to move over here." The female captain scratched her neck, "Do you like it?"

Pulling her into a hug, Kuroo smiled, "Thank you."

Akari snapped a picture of her two senpais, "This is gonna go into our yearbook!"

~~~

After the sun had set, everyone had already cleaned up the gym and left. Taiji and Kuroo were the last to leave, as the female captain still had something planned.

Blindfolded, Kuroo stumbled along to Taiji's next surprise.

"Where are we?" Kuroo almost fell again, "Are we going up a hill?"

The female captain shushed him, "We're almost there."

After a few more moments, the two came to a stop. "We're here! You can take off your blindfold now!"

As Kuroo's vision cleared, he could see a small blanket laid under the starry sky.

"Ta-da," The female captain smiled, "I found this spot when I went for a late-night run, you can see stars clearly here!"

The two captains sat down and started talking, admiring the stars as their conversation dived deeper and deeper.

"About earlier," Taiji mumbled, "What happened between you and your dad?

Kuroo scratched his neck, "My grandma told you?"

The female captain chuckled quietly, "She was the one who called me."

The two captains laughed again, Taiji could feel Kuroo's uneasiness slowly melt away.

"My dad works overseas," Kuroo fiddled with his fingers, "I was kinda expecting him to at least send a text, but I guess he forgot it again."

Taiji laced her fingers with Kuroo, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," He smiled, "At least I had you and the team."

Taiji stayed silent, has she been selfish? Kuroo had often listened to her opening up about her problems, but now that she thought about it, Kuroo hardly ever shared anything with her.

Noticing Taiji knitting her brows together, Kuroo stood up. Offering his outstretched arm, Kuroo laughed, "Dance with me?"

The sudden request surprised Taiji, "Since when did you dance?"

The male captain gave a quiet grin, "I can't have my girlfriend upset on my birthday, can I?"

As the two captains slow-danced under the bright sky, both laughing at how they were terrible with coordination, constantly stepping on each other's toes.

"Happy birthday, Tetsurou." Taiji smiled, giving her partner a kiss.

This meme has been going around among my mutuals so I thought some of y'all would enjoy.

Also if the content ain't much quality I'm really sorry, I've been getting stuck lately, but thanks for reading!