Chapter 9: School

Start from the beginning

Tony pinches the bridge of his nose. He has lived a very unique life. Traveling the whole world, building a flying suit of armor, flying into a portal to space, things most people can't imagine, but he has never been more confused about what to do. He promised he would help Peter, mentoring him through the same problems he formerly faced. The issue was he didn't know how. How do you help a kid who lost his whole family in one tragic accident after another? The kid didn't trust him and rightly so. All he ever did was distract him because that's all he knew. Tony never truly healed from his parents' accident, and now after the incident in the bunker, it felt fresh.

A therapist would tell him that he made the promise for himself just as much as he did for Peter. That is if he ever went to a therapist. He tried Banner one time, but he slept right through it. At least Tony would not sleep through Peter talking, a plus for insomnia.

He sighs and looks at Pepper. She is wearing the same troubled expression.

"Did I imagine that?" He asks.

"No." Pepper sighs, confused. "I have a meeting, so you're driving him. Right?"

"Of course." Tony gets up and grabs his classic glasses off the counter. "I finally understand the whole teenager-parent relationship. I think I feel gray hair starting to pop up."

Pepper laughs as Peter enters the commons room, speed walking for the elevator.

"Hold up. I'm coming." He kisses Pepper on the cheek and rushes before the elevator doors closed.

"You really don't have to come. I am sure you are busy." Peter says quickly.

"Nothing that I can't get out of." Tony wraps his arm around Peter's shoulder like he has done many times before. "I'm going to let you pick the car."

"I'll just take the most inconspicuous one."

"You're no fun." Tony jokes. "Friday, do we have a boring car for Mr. Parker?"

"No, sir," Friday responds. "I would say Peter is doomed."

"You're exactly right, Friday." Tony laughs. "I think the gold one would be perfect."

"Really? Mr. Stark." Peter huffs utterly defeated.

"Fine, we'll find a normal car." (A/N: I am stressing out about driving, so my mind keeps going back to cars.)

The heroes found a 'normal' car. Emphasis on normal, the car was as far from normal as a toucan is from a rock, but at least it was not gold.

To sum up the ride in one word, it would be miserable. Peter could not stop shifting in the flawless leather seat; it wasn't that they were uncomfortable. It was more of the awkwardness suffocating him. His hand tapped on his leg to the rhythm of get-out-get-out, while his eyes drifted from pristine skyscrapers to the people strolling on the sidewalks. He wishes that the radioactive spider gave him teleportation power, then he could be one of those oblivious people walking the streets. Unfortunately, his wish was not granted.

Although Peter did not notice, Mr. Stark was just as miserable but for an entirely different reason. While Peter wanted to avoid the conversation, Mr. Stark thought of ways to start it. His mind ended up blank. It was an unusual feeling for the billionaire. For most of his life, he would say what he thought without any consequences, but when it came to Peter, he had to be careful. Why couldn't he have had a normal father to base this conversation on?

The excruciating minutes were finally over, and the heroes pulled up in front of Peter's school. Due to the traffic and Peter waking up later, the first block had already started, so the hallways should be empty. Peter got out of the car and settled his backpack on his shoulders. The passenger door was almost before Mr. Stark spoke up.

"Wait, Kid," Tony sighs. "I understand you want to handle everything by yourself, but you either have to tell me or a therapist."

"Mr. Stark..."

"No, I'm serious Peter. Just... At least talk to the school counselor. He mutters.

"If I do that, will you not bother me again?" One time won't hurt, right?

"You have to go, understood?" Mr. Stark insists.

"I'll go."

Mr. Starks offers him a small smile. "Is this where I say 'have a good day at school and don't get in trouble'?"

"I guess."

Mr. Stark nods, and Peter closes the door. He trudges up the front steps and enters the building. His footsteps echo eerily on the tile floors as he heads to the office.

"Good morning, Mrs. Lambert." Peter places on a smiling mask.

"Hey, Peter." She says sympathetically. "I am sorry about your aunt. Do you have someone to stay with?"

How did she know? Mr. Stark didn't tell them, did he? If she knew, then all the teachers knew. At least here, they might not care as much. Peter had a chance to avoid the intrusive questions and comments.

Peter nods. "I am staying with a friend."

"I'm glad." She reaches in her desk and grabs a tardy slip. "You have Physics, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She writes quickly then hands me the slip. "Here."

"Thank you." He grabs the paper.

"Have a good day."

Peter nods and heads down the silent halls again.

Once he reaches the classroom, the routine doubting starts. Maybe this was a bad idea. He could have stayed at the tower, but that would include a constant reminder of May's death. He prefers Flash taunting over that, so his hand reaches for the knob and turns, opening the door gently.

The teacher was the first to notice him. When most of the students came in late, the teacher would call them out, then move on with the lesson. This time was different. As he had just witnessed with the office lady, the whole school probably knew his aunt was dead. He prayed to Thor, Loki, and any other weird aliens that could help him.

"Hello, Mr. Parker." The teacher greets. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Peter nods.

"Ned will give you the notes. Talk to me after class to catch you up to speed."

He nods again and tries to avoid the eyes of his classmates following him to his seat. Looking over at Ned, he sees a look of disappointment.

"You could have at least texted," Ned whispers as he slides his notes over.

"I know. I'm sorry." Peter grabs his stuff out of his backpack. "I am dealing with a lot right now."

"You can trust me. You know that, right?" His expression turns worried.

"Yeah, Ned."

"People are saying that Liz..." Ned starts.

"Can we not talk about that!" Peter interrupts sharply, causing some of his classmates to look over. "I'll explain at lunch."

"Ok." Ned offers a small smile. "Lunch."

Thank you so much for reading! A thousand people read this

Thank you so much for reading! A thousand people read this. That is amazing!!! Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing. Any advice?