Connie's Assignment

"NO ONE ELSE CAN FEEL IT FOR YOU, ONLY YOU CAN LET IT IN- NO ONE ELSE, NO ONE ELSE CAN SPEAK THE WORDS ON YOUR LIPS-"

Connie and Steven were in the Dondai.

Connie was going into politics, and needed to be able to speak in public. So she had enrolled in a public speaking class. She was six weeks into an eight week programme, and was doing really well. The teacher of her class had chosen her as one of the pupils to start applying their skills to the real world.

••• Connie's Class •••

"Okay so can the students whose names I called please come and speak with me after class. You all did great today well done!"

Most of the students filtered out of the room. Connie and three others were left  in their seats. Their teacher called them over to her desk.

"You four are our top students," Ms.Mavero began "I will be sending you all off to companies, to give presentations and gather information. I need you all to remember that this is a real job that your assigned company needed done. The best way to learn is through experience. Real experience. Do your best and try not to make any of your companies management hate you or me. You will need to bring someone with you, to report on how you are doing. It doesn't matter who you pick, it can be your child for all I care, but they will have to write a report on how you did."

Ms. Mavero let this information sink in before continuing.

"Right. You have been assigned a company and a subject. You will all have different jobs to do, but all of these jobs will be relevant to public speaking.

Connie Maheswaran, you have been assigned to a paper company called Dunder Mifflin, and you will be heading up to their Scranton branch to give three presentations about Public Displays Of Affection in the workplace. You will also need to gather information to see how this office does when it comes to PDA. The company needs this information for reasons that have not been disclosed. This booklet can tell you about the company and exactly what you have to address in your presentations. You will be staying in Scranton and observing how your presentations affect the employees for three days. I have also been asked to tell you that there is a documentary on the Scranton branch is currently being filmed, and you will most likely be on camera. You will also be asked to do a commentary on subjects that the camera crew will ask about."

Connie nodded. She took her information booklet and walked out of the room, meeting Steven where he had parked his Dondai.

"Ready to go?" Steven asked cheerfully.

"Hey Steven..." Connie asked "could you help with an assignment I have?"

•••Back to the car ride to Scranton•••

"THE REST IS STILL UNWRITTEEEEEUUOOHOUHUOH-"

Steven pulled into the gates of the building.

As the final notes of the song that the two had been screaming faded out, Connie stared up at the building in from of them.

She opened the car door and stepped out. The nervous energy coming from her could have powered a city.

Then Steven took her hand.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," Connie replied, smiling at him.

Steven wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her on the nose, eliciting a giggle from her.

Connie nuzzled her face into his shoulder before  standing up straight and staring up at the office building.

And she saw the blinds on one of the window moving and silently cursed herself.

She was giving a lecture on PDA to someone who had just witnessed her partaking in PDA. She would now have to be really good for anyone to take her seriously. They weren't going to take a lesson from a hypocrite.

Connie held on tightly to Steven's hand, and together they marched in through the glass doors.

•••••

Andy stepped away from the conference room window.

'Those people look happy,' he thought, before leaving the room to return to his desk.

•••••

Connie and Steven stood outside the door to an office that had a sign that read "Dunder Mifflin".

Connie has been staring at said door for four and a half minutes. She had no idea whether she was supposed to knock. This wasn't a good start.

Steven glances at her and, upon realising her dilemma, went ahead and opened the door. Connie smiled at him gratefully, and walked up to a desk with a sign that said "reception".