Chapter 9

Louis pov

I woke up naked, covered in dirt. Tears welled up in my eyes as I laid on the leaf litter. My body was numb except for my chest. It was just twisting in complete agony.

Memories surged through my head. This was how I used to live before all this - just me and my cottage, secluded in the woods. It was a simpler time. It was not perfect but it was more digestible.

Unlike whatever I ate last night. My tummy twisted and ached. Were stomachaches something that carried over werewolf cycles or did something crawl into my mouth before I woke up? I lurched forward and threw up.

My body ached. The acid corroded the inner lining of my throat. Sweat trickled down my skin. I lifted myself onto my knees. My limbs wobbled as I tried to crawl across the forest floor. All I wanted was to get rid of that horrid burning sensation in my throat.

Finally, it was in sight. The lake sparkled in the sunlight. I hurried to the edge of the glistening water, scooping up greedy mouthfuls. As each splash kissed my tongue and rolled into my throat, the stinging subsided. Exhausted but relieved, I collapsed onto the bank.

“Look what I found,” I heard an unfamiliar voice exclaim. I peered over a bush. It was Charles.

“A necklace?” Mr Lawrence gave an unimpressed response.

“Not just any necklace, the one that will kill the wolves.” Now, Charles had piqued his interest. “I saw one of them last night. Just one touch can burn his paw and make him cry. Imagine what we could do with it.”

“Charles! Why did you take so long to bring this to me?”

“The wolf kicked it away and I had to turn over like a thousand leaves.”

I watched Mr. Lawrence scrutinise the ring. “Fine silver,” Mr. Lawrence read from the engraving inside the band. “Charles, get the sword. Who knew that flashy family heirloom will come in handy one day?”

As they walked away, I scrambled to my feet. I held onto a tree as my legs struggled to support my weight. I managed to find my balance and hobbled back to the cabin.

"Louis!" Harry called out as he emerged from the trees. "Oh gosh, you look terrible. Let's get you back to the cabin." He and Niall helped me to the ATVs. Harry drove while I rode behind him.

They sat me at the table. Niall handed me a mug of warm water, for which I thanked him.

"Are you feeling better?" Harry asked me, cleaning the dirt off my body with a damp towel.

"They know." I ignored Harry's question. "They know silver hurts us and they are going to use it to kill us."

"What's all this about?" Zayn sauntered into the dining room, followed by Liam. "How could they know silver hurts us?"

"They said they saw a wolf touch my pendant. I shouldn't have thrown it away like that." I traced the ring-shaped scar on my chest.

"Louis, how could you be so negligent? You just put all of our lives in danger." I hung my head in shame as Zayn continued to berate me. "I bet it was your wolf that touched it too!"

"Look at your palms!" Impatient, Harry snatched Zayn's hands up. "Scars, probably from the pendant. Yet you have the audacity…"

Harry's voice trailed off when I touched his arm. He knew to stop but still, he was enraged. He was almost growling at Zayn.

"Look at you all," Niall remarked. "Pointing fingers like children. That's enough."

"Niall is right." Liam agreed to Zayn's consternation. "Even if it was his fault, Louis came back to warn us. That deserves some credit."