Chapter Forty-Four: The Light that will Illuminate the Dark

Start from the beginning

"You did a good job in offering your help to Konoha," Sasuke said, the least thing he could say as close as a thank you as possible.

The former sannin just smiled with his eyes closed. It doesn't look like the smile was fake, more than anything it looks genuine which was even more surprising to Sasuke and Sakura because he did plan to destroy Konoha before during the chunnin exam.

"I would be glad to offer my help again if needed."

Well, they guess he really did change for the better.

Sasuke heaved a sigh and walked a few steps ahead. "It's getting late, we should get going."

It's true though, the sun is almost bidding farewell between the woods. Since Sasuke decided to use susano'o to travel back to Konoha it would be convenient to leave when the sun is not high above the sky. Travelling during the night would be colder and refreshing and by tomorrow, they'd be arriving at Konoha.

Sasuke summoned susano'o with his visual prowess and took Sakura's hand. The two left with Sakura waving a goodbye as they hovered aboveground.

Sakura watched in fascination as the view cleared to the horizon as far as her eyes could see. The sun is slowly sauntering down the far-off distance ahead while behind them, she could see the sky darkening with the indication of the stars starting to get visible as the night approaches.

The cold spring breeze swooshes by and Sakura's hair swayed. Her hair, Sasuke thought, is starting to flow longer. He did use to like long hairs, his brother had long hair so Sasuke thought long hair suit a person regardless of the gender. He really had no idea how a rumour about him liking girls with long hair started to spread around the Academy. But then this girl beside him, despite knowing that he liked long hair, still made a choice to cut her hair short during the chunnin exam.

And Sakura kept her hair short ever since then.

Sasuke found himself touching the strands of her pink hair and Sakura looked at him.

"Do you like me to grow my hair long, Sasuke-kun?" she asked.

Sasuke ponder her question for a second. It doesn't really matter to him in the end. "Whichever you find comfortable. I will always find you beautiful."

Sakura's eyes slightly widen as pink dust tinted her cheeks. Beautiful, had she ever heard Sasuke call her that? It was so sudden that Sakura almost felt her heart raced so fast.

A few hours had gone by and the whole sky already veiled in thousands of stars. It was mesmerizing, more entrancing than the horizon from this afternoon. It's like they are travelling under a galaxy of stars and starlings. Once in a while a meteor would whizz by, sometimes it was so fast Sakura could hardly catch it and when she did saw it, a smile formed in her lips.

"You need to rest," Sasuke said as they slowly landed on the ground.