Chapter Six

song/clip: juice by lizzo, cover by harry styles.

CHAPTER SIX

Following Harry's advice, I find myself in an office, nervous as shit. As I promised him, I'm going to try one last time and if it doesn't work out ... then it' s just a sign to go home and I can't be fickle-minded about that again. The walls are a shade between gold and yellow, shadowing the success of the company. Harry was nice enough to recommend a producer, said he even put in a good word even if I told him not to. As I waited in the office, waiting for the producer who is deciding my fate, I feel a buzz from my phone.

From Harry: This is going to go well. I know it and you do too - H.

The text makes a smile creep up my face and I reply to him with nothing else but a smiley face. My stomach is holding butterflies and I get anxious by the second. I've done these for what feels like a thousand times, but it doesn't get easier – being told that you're not good enough or that you are, but not for your voice to be heard in this industry. Caught up in my thoughts, I sit up straight seeing the door open with a dark-haired, tan woman in heels strutting to me.

"I'm Linda Rhodes," she sticks her hand out for me to shake. Responding to her gesture, I'm almost starstruck. Ms Rhodes is arguably one of the best producers in the industry, which makes me question why I'm here. Cameron did her research, as per usual and told me that she's discovered at least ten artists on the big charts right now.

"Pleasure to meet you. I'm Lorelai Sommers, but, um, you can call me Rory," I smile, wondering why I told her my nickname. She has money, she'll call you what she wants.

"The pleasure is mine. I've heard many great things about you Rory and to be truthful ... I'm excited" she smiles, sitting down at her big wooden that in itself looks expensive while I sit on her leather lounge chair. By her comment, I want to gush and be excited but after the incident last time, I know better. As a response, I simply smile enough to show her I appreciated her comment.

"The demo you sent me, it's splendid. I had a great time listening to it, so did my little boy," she giggles, pointing to her gold, antique frame on her desk – a picture of her and a boy I assume is her son who definitely has her features; the tan skin, dark hair. My heart picks up, is this actually happening? "Thank you ... that collection is something I'm really proud of,"

"And you should be. I understand you're looking for a producer, a record label, a catalyst – sort of to be discovered? To be heard?" Every word the woman is saying, my head nods as she goes on. Exactly what I'm looking for.

"That's exactly it," I managed to mumble out. I don't know what to expect next – am I finally getting my big break?

"With talent like yours Rory, I'm glad you've come to me. I don't know how any other label or producer could've ever said no to you," she admits, clasping her hands together. What does this mean?

Before I could ask, she continues speaking, hushing me.

"I do believe you're talented Rory and I can see it. I can see something in you. But before we do this for real, I want to make sure you have the familiarity,"

"W-what do you mean?" I ask, obviously confused from her statement.

"My proposal for you here is – yes, I will sign you to my label and have your work produced. But ... I'm willing to do that in a month or two. What I want you to do is to gain experience, gain knowledge in this music industry. I know that you've been self-producing, but this industry is competitive, strange and most times, disappointing. I don't want to have a client beginning to release great music but unable to handle the pressure," she states, with a serious look on her face.