Chapter 16: The Scent of Ginger

En başından başla

"Stop! Stop it!" You screamed against the dark, but you could barely even hear your own voice.

Your eyes snapped open to the sound of your alarm clock. You just lay there for a moment, unable to move a muscle aside from your twitching fingers and pounding heart. It was going to be one of those days, huh?

***

Your locker really ought to be oiled up or something, the squeaking hinges were driving you crazy, even if it barely took up five minutes of your morning routine. Miko took in the contents of your locker over your shoulder.

"You're pretty unorganized, has anyone ever told you that?" You glared back at her before turning back to your stuff. "Aren't you talkative this morning?" Miko thumped her back against the locker next to yours, pressing one foot up on the sheet metal.

Other students clumped up in groups throughout the rows of lockers, chatting before having to head to class for the day, taking in their final breaths of freedom. You sighed. "Sorry, I'm just really tired, I didn't sleep super well."

"That explains the grumps. Hey Garfield, you over shot Monday by just a little bit, take it easy on Thursday, ok?"

You glared at her. "Why am I friends with you?" Junk shrugged in response.

You hadn't slept well the night before, that much was true. It was enough of a struggle to keep your eyes open at all from the restless grab bag of nightmares. That in addition to your eventful day yesterday didn't quite sum up to a good night's sleep.

You creaked your squeaky locker door shut, and turned to Miko. You unenthusiastically pumped your arms in the air. "Woo, let's get this bread..." you drawled out, she laughed. You turned to head down into the rest of the school only to come face to face with the jingly bracelets of your classmate Okimi.

She was looking at you with a tiffed raise to her upper lip. She was by herself, but you could almost feel the glares of others hidden in the hallway.

"Oh, good morning Okimi." You gave her a tired smile and a little wave.

"Are you deaf, or just stupid?" She tilted up her nose at you.

"Pardon?" Excusez moi?

"Didn't I tell you about cutting the bullshit with Jojo?" She put her hand on her hip. "Word on the street is that you've been dragging him around town."

Now, this would be a scary situation for you (being confronted by a girl that you found completely capable of disemboweling you with her fingernails) were it NOT for the fact that your fight or flight senses were currently on the moon and your brain was processing things about as quick as a sinking wood chip in a pool.

"Oh, that." Was all you managed to push out.

She looked dumbstruck. "Yeah, THAT. So are you going to explain what the deal is?"

Captain! We're taking on water! Get the buckets!

Brain still not computing completely. "We just ran into each other, nothing special."

Wrong answer! The bow is going under! We're going down!

You started to fidget with your skirt hem, the muscles in your calf tensed with the desire to express itself via river dance. "It was just some stuff about class." You lowered your eyes a little.

"Which is it? Was it about class or did you just run into each other?" She had seemingly taken a step closer to you backing you up against the locker, Miko looked on in tight-lipped silence.

"Well it was a little bit of both, actually."

Okimi glanced up to the interrupting voice to find none other than the boy in question, Josuke Higashikata, standing there with his bag slung over his shoulder. The gold accents on his uniform glinted and his onyx hair was done up as usual. He glanced over at you and gave a smile and a little two finger salute. "Yo."