Chapter 14

2 weeks later.

...

"I swear to god, Murphy." Raven grumbled, rolling her eyes at him.

Murphy held up his hands in surrender hastily. Bellamy hid his smile, how were his friends so oblivious to each other's feelings?

He glanced at Clarke, who was talking to Maya animatedly. Then again, he and Clarke had been like that too. The thought made him smile again.

He walked over to Clarke and nudged her side. She turned away, her smiling widening when she saw who it was. "Mind if I steal my girlfriend for a moment?" He asked Maya.

When Maya nodded, he grabbed Clarke's hand and dragged her over to Murphy and Raven, who were still bickering. "Look at them." he whispered to Clarke. "They're so oblivious."

"We can hear you." Raven snapped, and Clarke shoved her fist into her mouth to stifle a laugh.

"I made sure of it." Bellamy told her with a wink, and as Raven glared at him, Clarke turned away, her shoulder shaking from contained laughter.

They walked past, and Clarke completely lost it, giggling until Bellamy had to tell her to stop because Raven kept giving them her murderous glares over her shoulder.

As the sky slowly darkened, Clarke and Bellamy settled into lawn chairs with Monty and Jasper. They talked about Clarke's new job- she'd been hired as an artist for a children's book last week. Clarke had always loved art more than the Hospital, and even though it paid less, she'd still gladly accepted it.

Her face lit up whenever she talked about art, which Bellamy of course thought was adorable.

Jasper stood up at about 9, and cleared his throat. The backyard fell silent. Jasper had become the official firework conductor, and of course he went all out. "Let the firework show begin!" He announced.

He stepped aside, and Maya was sitting on the grass, trying to light to firework. An awkward silence. Then Jasper said: "Well. Looks like you're about as good at lighting fireworks as you were last year."

Maya raised her eyebrows at him as she stood and handed him the lighter.

Jasper bent down, lighting it quickly, before backing up to stand beside Maya. The firework exploded in a colorful array of light before dying down again.

Clarke stood up to sit on his lap. Bellamy wrapped his arms around her and kissed her head as Jasper lit the next firework. "You're sickening." Raven mumbled to them as the next firework exploded.

Clarke stuck her tongue out at Raven, who stuck her tongue out right back.

The night passed quickly, Jasper enjoyed lighting fireworks way too much, and Monty had brought watermelon that was quickly devoured (mostly by Clarke).

By 10 PM, there was only one firework left. Jasper smuggled it in behind his back, before giving them a grand reveal. "May I present to you... THE HUNGRY ALLIGATOR!"

"Isn't that firework illegal?" Murphy asked, and when everyone else turned to glare at him, he added: "Just saying."

Jasper set it down and lit it, backing up quickly. Childish suspense filled the backyard. Green fireballs shot out of the top before the whole thing dissolved into a shower of sparks.

Raven clapped, but it wasn't over. The thing let off a sound like a firecracker before bursting into the sky. Clarke jerked back in surprise, letting out a nervous laugh. "I think I know why this thing is illegal." Clarke told Bellamy, but she didn't turn back to face him.

If she had, she would've seen him staring at the firework, his face silhouetted with its light, a single tear making its way down his face.

But he was smiling, too, because he knew that this wasn't the ending of his story.

It was just the beginning.