[36] The Phantom | The Phantom II | Tease

Start from the beginning

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵

The anxiety within the vehicle was astronomical. I watched with doubtful eyes as JJ played with the keys in his hand, he gripped them tight, looking ahead as he thought for a moment.

"It'll be fine," JJ said, reassuring us, but I could tell it was more for himself than us. He needed to hear it. "It'll be fine with the Phantom. She'll get out of here quick."

Sirens blared from down the road, causing all of our hearts to launch into our throats. "Woah, woah, woah," JJ warned. I sat back in the seat, trying to blend in with the leather as JJ ducked. Kiara stayed focused on the road, her knuckles turning white as three cop cars sped pass us.

"It's a good sign they're still looking," Kiara said, looking between JJ and I.

I meant what I said when I told Kiara I'd drop it, and as long as she stops acting up, I'll behave. But, I wouldn't forget, and to be truthful, I didn't believe her. The way she targeted me was suspicious considering there's three other people in our friends group also contributing to the problems she complains about. I didn't trust her, but I wasn't going to stir the pot anymore if I didn't need to.

We drove all the way to where Luke Maybank's boat was stored. Kie parked the car, and immediately we jumped out of the car, knowing we were running short on time.

JJ pushed open the door, sighing as he saw the boat. "There she be. Hey, girl," he cooed at the boat. I furrowed my brows as he pulled a sheet off of it, letting the fabric fall to the ground with a thump. "A 1983 formula 402 SR1. The Phantom."

He clicked his tongue, looking back at Kie and I. "It looks like a normal boat," I shrugged. JJ sent me a look, his eyes widening as he acted like he was personally offended by my comment

"It's the first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours," he exclaimed, giving us the history. "Forty years old! Forty! And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

"Wow," I said unenthusiastically.

"It's kinda a junker.." Kie added.

"Really, you guys. She's right there," JJ swallowed, looking as if he could cry for the boat. "She can hear you. Let's just put it this way. You would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

I sighed, shaking my head at his antics. "I just hope it runs," Kiara muttered, putting a hand on her hip.

JJ chuckled, as if the idea of an old boat not running was crazy. "Oh, no, she'll run alright. She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got."

  I started to help JJ prepare the boat as the sound of a bike approached. Kiara jumped up, going to meet Pope half way. I watched as JJ stroked the boat tenderly, and I suddenly wondered, who his girl really was. I didn't even want to think about if he had to choose between the boat and I.

"Hey there, what's going on?" I spun around at the familiar voice, feeling my body fill with fear. A lump formed in my throat as I watched Rafe get closer.

"JJ? Oh, and look, it's my favourite girl, Beckett. How you guys doing?"

I turned to walk towards the car for a quick escape, but another man, one I recognized as Barry came around the corner, whistling with a taunting smile. I backed away until I hit JJ, he grabbed my arm, lightly pushing me behind him protectively. But really, it was no use, they were coming from both directions.