[4] Social Inequalities | Pilot IV | Tease

We all peered at the water, waiting for the moment John B would break the surface. But it felt like that moment was never going to come as the seconds ticked by like a snail. As we all leaned over the side of the boat, my arm brushed JJ's causing me to pull my arm away as if I had been shocked. He looked at me outlandishly, but I brushed off it off.

When JJ looked back at the water, I found myself staring at him. My eyes were fixated on his face, as his blue eyes desperately searched the water for our friend. I watched as the wind lightly pushed his hair, like it was giving his hair a sweet, gentle kiss. I wonder what it feels like.

Kiara cleared her throat which caused me to snap my head towards her. My hands felt clammy as her caramel eyes narrowed at me, making me feel as if I was a child caught with my hand in the cookie jar. I broke away from her stare, looking down anxiously at the dark, murky water as Pope spoke. "Should we go get him?"

Just as Pope said that, John B resurfaced coughing and sputtered water. He shook his head like a dog, releasing water from his hair.

"Oh my God, that took forever!" Kiara said, her face full of concern.

"I thought you were a goner, Johnny Boy," I joked. John B sent a wink in my direction. "Can't get rid of me that easy."

"Any dead bodies?" Pope asked. "Looting potential?" JJ added.

"No, no. But I found this motel key."

We all murmured words of disappointment and sarcasm at the discovery. "We should probably report the wreck to the coast guard. Who knows, there might be a reward for finding it," I suggested.

JJ scoffed, "Like you need the money."

I rolled my eyes, feeling my temperature rise from all the Kook-digs. "Are you done insulting me today? Perhaps you'd like to save some for tomorrow?"

"I never insult you, Winslow," JJ laughed, his taunting beryl eyes running up and down my displeased self. "I'm just describing you!"

I snarled at the boy as I stalked towards him, clenching my fist as I went. All I could think about was landing a sweet punch to his mouth, although I've never thrown a punch in my life. Maybe that'd shut him up. His face lit up with amusement, as if he'd being working up towards my inevitable blow up, waiting for it. Kie placed a hand on my shoulder, willing me not to start anything more than I needed to. "I'm really jealous of all the people who have never met you," I spat at him. He only laughed, sitting back in the boat. If only I could wipe that smirk of his face.

"Let's just go and report the crash," Kiara suggested, her eyes bouncing between Pope and John B to get things moving. "If there's a finders fee we won't have to work all summer."

JJ looked as if he was about to make another comment when his eyes met my own once again, but a venomous stare from Kie shut him up. "Thanks, Agatha, ya batch!" He cheered, turning away.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

The coast guard area was bustling with people. People of all different social classes, ages, and sizes were reporting their missing property. The area was much too populated for me, so I opted to stay behind. Kiara smiled, rubbing my lower back as she announced she'd be staying with me while John B and JJ went to the help desk. Pope was off looking at the information board, seeing if someone had made a posting.

Once it was just Kiara and I, she turned to face me with her arms crossed across her chest. Her smooth, bronzed skin glittering from the light layer of sweat and the reflection of the sun. "So, what's with the looks?"